Guys, get suited up for fun and formal affairs

By DEREK FAISH

There are mothers who would kill to see their sons in a nice suit, if only once.

This is… There are mothers who would kill to see their sons in a nice suit, if only once.

This is because professional wear is often nonexistent in a young man’s wardrobe — time and attention are instead focused on comfort, ease and affordability. Not many guys in college opt to outfit themselves with a fine suit, unless, of course, they’re business majors or are just starting to interview for full-time jobs.

The suit has evolved over the years. Although it has trends and styles that go in and out like all other areas in fashion, the suit is one piece of American men’s fashion that’s here to stay. For most guys, it’s hard not to look good in a suit: It’s a great way to help you look or feel important.

As a business major, I often have to wear a suit for job interviews and other commitments involving corporate drudgery. But when I do, I must say that I feel pretty influential. When I wear suits, lots of people tend to ask me for directions. I know it sounds weird, but it’s true. Also, I oftentimes do not bother to shave or give attention to my hair, because I know I’ll look good enough that day in my fancy outfit.

A suit can be a valuable asset to any guy’s wardrobe and can be worn on many occasions. You’ll never regret your purchase of a suit, as it will prove more useful than you’d think.

It’s useful to have a suit to wear at some family events, such as weddings, and to wear with friends, for instance, to a special dinner or event. A suit can be especially useful around the holidays, and will prove versatile when you simply have to look good. For example, the blazer can be worn with jeans and almost any button-down shirt for an established yet casual look. Also, wearing the slacks without the jacket can dress you up without going over the top.

Buying your suit may take a while and require patience. Fit is perhaps the most important element. Clean, closely tailored jackets with slender slacks comprise a modern fit. Remember that mall department stores are not good at pulling off young, fitted looks. Look for suits specifying a modern fit on the label, or shop at a modern, European-style store.

The style of the jacket is also central to your look. There are mostly two- and three-button blazers to choose from, but a nice, one-button blazer with thin lapels is very popular. Also trendy are two-button pieces that have buttons high on the jacket, shortening to lapels and adding another pocket on one side of the facade.

When buttoning, it’s important to remember the order. The rule for a three-button is: Sometimes, Always, Never. This means that you sometimes button the top, always the middle, and never, under any circumstances, button the bottom. A two-button jacket is Always, Never. Also, it is proper etiquette to unbutton all when seated.

Colors are usually dark grey, black or midnight blue, and pinstripes are perfectly fine. Chocolate brown is a nice color choice and popular this season. Black shoes are worn with grey or black suits, and brown or burgundy shoes should be worn only with blue suits.

Your dress shirt should be as nice as your suit. If you already have a suit but don’t feel like spilling the cash for an upgrade, consider getting a nice, textured dress shirt to add value to the entire ensemble. Solid colors are desirable, and the shirt’s only aesthetic design should be right in the fabric.

Design should be in the tie. This is where you can get creative. Choose a tie with a bold but tasteful motif to keep your look razor-sharp. You’ll be able to piece your tie in nicely with your suit, and everything will look perfect.

Your suit can be sleek and smooth. People will listen to you just because you look smart, and you’ll keep Mom proud.

Derek’s look is so sharp, he could pass for a machete. E-mail your feedback to [email protected].