Small chemical spill sends one student to the hospital

By TIM STIENSTRAW

A small chemical spill in Chevron Science Center sent one Pitt graduate student to the… A small chemical spill in Chevron Science Center sent one Pitt graduate student to the hospital on Monday night.

Police officer Tracy Harasyn said the student, whose name the police could not release, reported the chemical spill just after 10 p.m.

The student had been working with the chemical diethylchlorophosphate under a safety hood in a 12th floor chemistry lab of the building when a small amount, about six milliliters, splashed onto him.

Medics transported the student to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital, Pitt Police Chief Tim Delaney said, and the student was doing fine.

He added that Environmental Health and Safety was cleaning up the spill. Chevron was not closed and there was “no disruption in service.”

The student was home on Monday and reported that he was fine, John Fedele, a Pitt spokesman, said.

He said the incident was “a big nothing.” The chemical is only hazardous if it is inhaled after it has been heated.

Diethylchlorophosphate is used in organic chemistry for the synthesis of drugs to treat Alzheimer’s disease, but it is not clear whether or not the student was using it for this purpose, Fedele said.