Hip-hop workshop educates, entertains students

By ROSS RADER

Some students sat motionless in their chairs, gazing around the room, sipping on their… Some students sat motionless in their chairs, gazing around the room, sipping on their sodas. Some students bobbed their heads to a booming beat that filled the entire room and leaked beyond the doors and into the corridor. Still others stood and surrendered their entire bodies to hip hop. They weren’t dancing, though — they were feeling the music.

As part of International Week, celebrated from Sept. 24-30, hip hop music from around the world could be heard emanating from within the William Pitt Union Assembly Room Thursday night.

Many students took advantage of the numerous activities available at International Hip Hop and Flow, an event made possible through Pitt’s University Center for International Studies, Office of International Services, the Division of Student Affairs and a number of community organizations.

Several students had their names airbrushed by a talented graffiti artist who transformed plain letters into colorful pieces of artwork. Other students learned a seemingly complicated dance routine from a local hip-hop dance instructor. The routine consisted of quick, unfolding arms, rapid footwork and, most importantly, attitude.

Poetry, composed and read by Pitt students, was well received by the crowd, which consisted of several students from neighboring schools as well.

Carnegie Mellon junior Emily Tong commented, “The way the poet read was very enjoyable because his poems were very rhythmic.”

Local rappers also shared their art, performing several pieces, enlivening students. Several individuals gathered in front of the stage, listening closely to the words and moving to the beat.

Dancers clad in camouflage and black also performed a routine to Sean Paul’s “Temperature” that brought about loud, enthusiastic applause and cheers as they performed their impressive and creative routine.

The event concluded with an entertaining performance by breakdancers from around Pittsburgh. The breakdancers amazed the crowd with their dance moves; they spun on the floor, contorting their bodies with ease, always in step with the beat. The speed and strength required for their moves awed spectators.

Pitt junior Tony Vu remarked, “I’ve never seen those kinds of moves before. It makes me want to come to more of their future events.”

International Week celebrated diversity not only at the University of Pittsburgh, but also in the greater Pittsburgh community. The theme of the celebration, “Live Like the World Matters,” was well-expressed at International Hip Hop and Flow, where Pittsburgh students came to appreciate the fundamentals of hip hop music.