Accessorize your winter

By DEREK FAISH

Wow, it’s cold out.

In case you haven’t noticed, Pittsburgh has been experiencing some… Wow, it’s cold out.

In case you haven’t noticed, Pittsburgh has been experiencing some staggering weather trends, from rather warm to downright vicious, and the bad news is that it’s only the middle of October.

With the drop in mercury, we are starting to see true fall fashion. People are getting bundled up for their day and sporting innovative trends in anticipation of the winter months. Shopping is always good this time of year. It’s an exciting time to go into your favorite stores and see the fresh, warm sweaters and cool, latest jackets.

Any durable winter outerwear is a good investment, like a fine pair of jeans. Good outerwear can keep you warm and active when the weather gets nippy, so don’t be afraid to drape yourself in your indulgences. A great winter coat will have you looking sharp and in style. Buy a piece that you can wear season after season, and one that goes with the clothes you already have.

If you’re thinking about purchasing an overcoat or peacoat, remember that you can’t, under any circumstances, wear sneakers with these types of jackets. For both guys and girls, comfortable but elegant boots will complement your overall presentation. Adversely, if you have a job or activity that often requires you to dress in nicer clothes, you shouldn’t wear a ski jacket with dress shoes.

These tips will keep you looking neat throughout the colder months, and they are worth your attention.

Other great investments are accessories. Fine accessories can do wonders with an otherwise dull ensemble. The winter offers great opportunities for small, stylish fashion cues, such as leather goods and luxury fabrics.

Let’s run through the list.

Hats. Hats should more or less match your gloves. Think about a modern beanie or a traditional knit cap. Each should be of either consistent, ambiguous patterns or a plain, solid color. Large stripes may cause the hat to look cheap. Pick something that looks nice with your hair and completely covers the ears.

Gloves. There is a wide range of leather gloves available, from rather inexpensive pairs to sets lined in real fur or cashmere. Either way, leather gloves are a nice addition to a formal coat, and they’re sure to keep your fingers warm. Pick out a snug size, as the leather will stretch, loosen and eventually conform to the shape of your hand.

Scarves. Scarves may be the most essential and exciting accessory for the fall. As with gloves, there is a very wide range of prices, materials and options available when you’re on the lookout for that perfect scarf. A quality, all-cashmere scarf can be purchased at a relatively inexpensive price, and it’s sure to wrap you in warm love when you wear it.

Also, your scarf will attract attention: It may even be the first thing someone sees when he looks at your outfit. Pick something that clicks and complements your everyday appearance and style.

Scarves are for guys, too. It’s a great way to add depth and texture to a normally casual look.

Color is an important part of your accessorizing. Pick a set of fashionable accompaniments that you can wear with most of your wardrobe: Versatility is important. Also, choose shades that you can wear with blue and black. Don’t be afraid to use bold colors — you can really brighten up a plain and unadorned coat with the splashes of color that accessories provide.

Whatever accessories you choose, remember that they are investments and serve as important assets to your winter collection. Give them their proper attention, and be creative in your choices.

Your style will keep you warm.

Derek’s thinking of springing for a cashmere-lined, Prada peacoat, but he may require some financial aid for this endeavor. Please forward all donations to [email protected].