Frightful flicks for facilitating fear

By JESSICA BOPP

To fill the gaps between Halloween parties, try getting scared senseless with a horror flick… To fill the gaps between Halloween parties, try getting scared senseless with a horror flick or two. If these classic tales of fright and mayhem don’t ruin your sleeping schedule, nothing will.

10) “The Ring” (2002)

In a movie about a deadly movie, a disturbing videotape has the power to kill anyone who watches it in seven days. After Rachel’s (Naomi Watts) niece and her niece’s friends die simultaneously, Rachel finds the “murder weapon” and watches it, only to discover that the girls’ died after doing just that. With terrifying imagery and killer suspense, “The Ring” will leave you in fear of your telephone and television for weeks.

9) “Scream” (1996)

The “fear of phones” trend continues with “Scream,” in which Sydney (Neve Campbell) is the target of a killer who has recently killed one of her classmates. A news reporter (Courtney Cox) believes that the man responsible for killing Sydney’s mother a year ago is the same one stalking Sydney, and her boyfriend becomes the prime suspect of these malicious acts. If you can still stand being home alone when the phone rings, try upping the terror with “Scream II” (1997) and “Scream III” (2000).

8) “Carrie” (1976)

In this true classic, Carrie White (Sissy Spacek) uses her telekinesis to take revenge on the classmates who had taunted her for years. Stephen King’s novel comes to life through thrilling special effects and a haunting score. And if you haven’t seen the most memorable moment – in which Carrie gets a bucket of pigs’ blood dumped on her while she is accepting the crown as prom queen – get to the video store immediately.

7) “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” (1974)

When five teenagers go on a journey to visit their grandfather’s grave, they discover a family of cannibals at their old family home. With power tools as the cannibals’ weapons of choice, you won’t be able to enter a tool shed alone after watching “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.”

6) “The Silence of the Lambs” (1991)

An FBI agent, Clarice (Jodie Foster), is assigned to find a serial killer, nicknamed “Buffalo Bill,” who likes to skin his victims. She’s forced to illicit the help of a cannibal, Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) to better understand Buffalo Bill’s thoughts. To make it dinner and a movie, “The Silence of the Lambs” is best watched with a plate of fava beans and a nice Chianti.

5) “The Omen” (1976)

In “The Omen,” an ambassador (Gregory Peck) is terrified to learn that his son is the bona fide antichrist. The forces and people who protect Damien will do anything to keep him safe – his nanny hangs herself from the roof in a display of loyalty to him, marking one of the scariest moments in the film. The 2006 remake – released on 6/6/06 – does not do the original justice, but you can still expect to fly out of your seat on occasion.

4) “Halloween” (1978)

“Halloween” opens with a flashback to 1963, as 6-year-old Michael Myers stabs his sister to death. After living under Dr. Sam Loomis’ care in a mental institution for 15 years, Michael escapes and begins to stalk three teenagers. If you can’t get enough of the creepy, white-masked Michael Myers, there are enough sequels to “Halloween” to last a lifetime.

3) “Friday the 13th” (1980)

When Camp Crystal Lake is reopened, telltale signs of the mysterious deaths that have taken place in past years start to arise. The campers, in true stupid-horror-movie-victim fashion, ignore the warning signs – that is, until the murders begin again. So when that phone rings and you’re home alone, retreating into the woods might not be such a hot idea.

2) “The Shining” (1980)

Stanley Kubrick and Stephen King make a classic combination in “The Shining.” When a couple becomes the caretakers of a creepy hotel in the middle of nowhere, their son uses his telepathic gift, “the shining,” to see horrific visions about the hotel’s past. His father (Jack Nicholson) goes insane because of cabin fever and hauntings from ghosts of former hotel guests, and only the boy’s gift can save the rest of the family. With some of the most frightening images put to screen, “The Shining” proves that “murder” is much scarier when spelled backwards.

1) “The Exorcist” (1973)

“The Exorcist,” based on William Peter Blatty’s novel, manages to be even scarier with the claim that it’s based on true events. When a young girl, Regan, exhibits odd symptoms, including levitation and great strength, her mother seeks a priest as a last resort after medical treatment fails. The diagnosis is possession (naturally), so he employs exorcism to drive out the evil spirits. The rumors surrounding the filming are as frightening as “The Exorcist” itself, so be sure to look into the lore.

Whether it’s ghosts, zombies or possessed children that scare you senseless, terrifying films lurk just around the corner. If nothing else, they might help you pull that all-nighter.