Pitt’s Jewish students celebrate Yom Kippur holiday together

By LAURIE ZINBERG

Yom Kippur, a Jewish holiday, began on Sunday before sundown and lasted through sunset… Yom Kippur, a Jewish holiday, began on Sunday before sundown and lasted through sunset Monday. Under Jewish law, Yom Kippur falls on the 10th day of the Jewish month Tishri.

Also known as The Day of Atonement or The Day of Judgment, Yom Kippur is a very solemn holiday. Individuals are supposed to reflect on the past year’s sins and ask for atonement and reconciliation.

“Yom Kippur allows me to reflect on the events of my past year, while also thinking about my hopes for the coming year,” sophomore Michele Yuskovitz said.

There is a 25-hour fast that begins Yom Kippur, beginning a half-hour before sundown and lasting through sundown of the next day. Before the fast begins, families traditionally have a large meal with fish and rice.

During the fasting period, eating, washing and drinking are prohibited. The idea is to remain humble and to solely concentrate on your sins, forgiveness and how to do better in the upcoming year in order to be inscribed in the Book of Life.

Over the 10-day period between Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur, Jews must ask for forgiveness from people whom they have sinned against and accept forgiveness from those who have sinned against them.

The attendance at many synagogues doubles for Yom Kippur services. The Kol Nidre service occurs before sundown, which initiates Yom Kippur. Yom Kippur’s evening services are the only ones in which tallits (four-cornered prayer garments) are worn at night.

Pitt groups saw a positive response among students during this Yom Kippur.

“The services went very well this year at Hillel. For the 86 seats we had for the evening service, there were less than 10 empty seats. There was the same turnout, if not more, for the morning service,” Erin Schultz, co-chair of the student organization Kesher, said. “It is great to see the large participation from the students as well as the community.”

In the William Pitt Union there was a “break-the-fast” prepared by the University’s Jewish Heritage Program.

“There was a good turnout of about 50 students. It was nice because it was on-campus for easy access,” Stacey Formal, a member of JHP, said.

At the “break-the-fast” there was an assortment of bagels, lox (smoked salmon), hummus and a feeling of accomplishment for concluding another Yom Kippur.