Pitt students give blood, save lives

By ANGELA HAYES

Lindsay Warlow, of Delta Delta Delta, and John Prendergast, of Pi Kappa Alpha, donated blood… Lindsay Warlow, of Delta Delta Delta, and John Prendergast, of Pi Kappa Alpha, donated blood yesterday to earn “points” for their sorority and fraternity, but also to help save three lives.

“If I can help people, I’d rather that than Greek Week points,” Prendergast said, who has an A positive blood type.

The points earned from their blood donation will result in a donation from the Central Blood Bank to the philanthropy of their choice.

Warlow is considered “a universal giver” because of her O blood type. She said that is a reason she gathers her courage and faces her fear of needles to give blood.

“My blood can go to just about anyone,” she said.

Warlow knows the secrets behind donating in between classes and still having enough energy for the rest of the day. She has learned to eat iron rich foods, drink plenty of water and refrain from eating directly before donating blood.

According to Joyce Herman, supervisor of Mobile Blood Drives for the Central Blood Bank, individuals in general good health are eligible to donate blood, as long as they meet the requirements placed on weight — a minimum of 110 pounds — and level of iron in their blood.

There are also stipulations on blood donation eligibility based on piercings and tattoos.

People who have fresh tattoos are ineligible to give blood for one year. Those with piercings are eligible to give blood as long as their piercing was done with the “sterile technique,” using a clean and sterile device. Those that have “self-pierced” with a needle out of a package cannot donate blood until one year after they got the piercing.

Many potential blood donors worry that they do not have sufficient iron levels, which, according to Herman, remains a common misconception of giving blood. She reassures them that the staff of the blood drive will test iron levels and tell individuals if they have “enough to give” prior to the blood donation process.

If individuals do not meet the requirements to give blood, they can wear “the bear costume” and advertise the blood drive to passersby. According to Sue Stonick and Cheryl Lamer, business development representatives for the Central Blood Bank, the costume generates a lot of popularity among students.

Danielle Ranick, account manager for the Central Blood Bank, said many blood donors at Pitt are not aware of a “fun fact” about the Central Blood Bank. According to Ranick, The Central Blood Bank, which is located in Pittsburgh, supplies 42 hospitals located in and around Pittsburgh.

“If someone needs a blood product, we supply all hospitals,” she said.

One person’s donation can amount to about two units of blood, which can then be separated into three “blood products.” These blood products, red blood cells, plasma and platelets, serve different needs for patients.

Red blood cells can be useful to trauma patients who usually need over one unit of blood. Receiving this transfusion from one donor’s blood instead of two lessens the chances that the trauma patient will have a bad reaction.

Plasma, which Herman referred to as the liquid part of the blood, is generally used to help burn victims. Lastly, platelets help cancer patients who have undergone chemotherapy with blood clotting.

Herman said Pitt’s close proximity to hospitals also makes university-run blood drives important because of the ability to transport blood products quickly when needed.

“There can be an accident out there that can wipe out a whole blood drive,” she said, pointing out the window to Bigelow Boulevard.

“That patient needs it today and we might not have it for them.”

Herman said that many students do not give blood because their studies and other activities do not allow the time. She said some students might not give blood because they are “scared to death.”

“It’s the fear of the unknown,” she said. “But then they come in and find out that it’s not that bad.”

Herman said she encourages people who are afraid of donating to try giving blood at least once. If they find out that it is “worse in their head” then it actually is, then they come back.

“They are the future donors,” she said.