Pitt standards on the rise

By LAURIE ZINBERG

In fall 2006, Pitt welcomed 3,420 wide-eyed freshmen. These new freshmen are unlike the… In fall 2006, Pitt welcomed 3,420 wide-eyed freshmen. These new freshmen are unlike the students of previous years. Their SAT scores are the highest Pitt has ever seen. It is a fact that each year the incoming freshmen class improves in quality and size.

A decade ago, the mid-50 percent SAT score range was 1010 to 1200. Just four years ago, this range increased to 1090 to 1260. In a matter of four years, this range has shot up to a staggering 1150 to 1310.

Betsy Porter, the director of admissions and financial aid, said, “Everything’s changed dramatically. The quality of incoming students has gone up, so our class size has been able to increase as well.” Since 1995, the freshman class size has increased by 996 students.

According to Porter, the admissions staff now looks more closely at applicants’ grades and the academic rigor that a student chooses to pursue.

Pitt’s professors have also seen the difference in student improvement.

“The number of math students in research and in the mathematics major has increased greatly,” said the University’s mathematics chair, Juan Manfredi. “Enrollment in upper-level courses as well as undergraduates taking graduate courses has increased.”

“Pre-calculus courses have definitely decreased. More and more students go directly into calculus from high school now,” Manfredi continued.

In the fall of 2001, 1,158 Pitt students enrolled in lower-level math courses, but in the fall of 2006, that number had decreased to a surprising 749.

Pitt’s English chair, Dave Bartholomae, has also noticed a great difference in his English students. “The increase in student quality is not just seen in the SAT scores, but can be measured by the class’s interest and their readiness for a challenge.”

Bartholomae reported that, “There are only two sections for basic writing courses. Twenty to 25 years ago, there were as many as 20 sections.” With the boost of student quality, he is now able to include more cultural references in his classes and give out more difficult assignments.

On the English Internship day, there were 200 people in attendance. A decade ago, only eight to 12 people were there. This shows the improvement in student dedication and participation in events concerning jobs.

For some seniors, there is a substantial distinction between what it took to get them accepted to the University and what it took for this year’s freshmen.

“In high school, I was only really involved in a Jewish youth group, which was outside of school,” senior Ariella Siegel said. “In school, I was in the Spanish Club and a Women’s Group, but didn’t do too much for them.”

Pitt freshman Rachel Belieu, recipient of a full-tuition scholarship, did things a little differently in high school. “I was involved in my school’s theater, choir and Model UN. I also started Young Democrats and the Language Club in my school.”