A closer look…

By GEOFF DUTELLE

The Teams: Fresh off the first road win for head coach Dave Wannstedt, the Pitt… The Teams: Fresh off the first road win for head coach Dave Wannstedt, the Pitt Panthers (2-0 overall, 1-0 Big East) welcome the Big Ten’s Michigan State Spartans (2-0, 0-0) to Heinz Field for a noon contest tomorrow. This will be the Spartans’ first trip to Heinz Field.

National Audience: For the second straight week, Pitt will welcome play in front of a national audience. Tomorrow’s game will be a split ESPN2 telecast (alongside BYU-Boston College) and will also be shown by select ABC affiliates. SIRIUS Satellite Radio will pick up the radio call once again on channel 130.

Renewing Old Ties: The teams haven’t squared off since a 7-7 deadlock back in 1960. That draw has proven to be the Panthers’ best outing against MSU, as the Spartans hold a 4-0-1 lead in the all-time series.

We are?: Pitt hasn’t faced a Big Ten team since closing out a long rivalry with Penn State with a 12-0 win in Three Rivers Stadium back in 2000. Michigan State is the first Big Ten team to visit Heinz Field.

Quick Starts: The Panthers’ 33-15 win over Cincinnati last Friday night marked Pitt’s first 2-0 start in three seasons. Should Wannstedt’s bunch get past the Spartans, it will be the program’s first 3-0 start in six years.

Going Deep: With an 80-yard scoring strike last week, Tyler Palko has already completed more plays of more than 70 yards (three) this season than last season (one). Last year’s sole 70-plus yard play was a 73-yard reception by former wideout Greg Lee at Nebraska. Lee slowed near the red zone and was caught by a Cornhusker defender.

Two’s not a winner, but it’s still good: Palko’s 65 percent completion rate, 275-yard average and six touchdowns, and only one interception, have made him the second highest-rated quarterback in college football so far this season.

Ground Attack Grounded: Despite the Panthers’ passing onslaught, the team still ranks 86th in the nation in total rushing. On the flip side, Pitt has gotten the job done defensively against the run, ranking 10th in the country in rush defense.

Run it Back: The teams will also meet next season in East Lansing, Mich., when Pitt makes its first trip to MSU since 1958. The Panthers lost that game 22-8.