Spamalot: It’s only a model

By KATE MICKERE

“Monty Python’s Spamalot” Pittsburgh Cultural Trust Benedum Center Through October 1 Price:… “Monty Python’s Spamalot” Pittsburgh Cultural Trust Benedum Center Through October 1 Price: $30-$75

Killer rabbits and farting Frenchmen are taking over the city of Pittsburgh. The invasion began on Tuesday, when the national tour of “Monty Python’s Spamalot” hit the Benedum Center.

The musical, “lovingly ripped-off” from the 1975 film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail,” combines the plot line and irreverence of the cult classic with catchy music and snappy choreography in order to create a show that is spectacular, entertaining and downright silly.

The musical follows the straight-faced King Arthur as he gathers a band of hopeless knights to aid him in his quest to find the Holy Grail. Arthur’s troupe is comprised of the cowardly Sir Robin, the overly macho Sir Lancelot, the bumbling Sir Bedevere, the dashingly handsome Sir Galahad and the obviously absent Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Show.

The knights set out to find the Holy Grail and meet a host of ridiculous enemies along the way. Monty Python fans will be thrilled to see familiar characters. Enemies such as the Black Knight, the French Taunter, the Knights who say “Ni!” and the Killer Rabbit are all present in the musical. Even God, voiced by founding Python John Cleese, makes an appearance.

“Spamalot” isn’t a complete rip-off from the original film. Writer and founding Python Eric Idle introduces us to the Lady of the Lake. The new character, an opinionated and attention-seeking diva, entrances King Arthur and guides him in his quest.

In a surprise move for a Python show, the Lady of the Lake is actually played by a lady. The Lady of the Lake is accompanied by her “Laker Girls,” a group of scantily clad and slightly annoying cheerleaders.

Monty Python is famous for its satire of well-known institutions. Author Eric Idle and composer John Du Prez chose music as their mode, and each musical number lampoons a different type of Broadway musical.

The song “You Won’t Succeed (On Broadway)” parodies the classic shows “West Side Story,” “Fiddler on the Roof” and “The Producers.” The show-stopping “The Song That Goes Like This,” a duet between the Lady of the Lake and Sir Galahad, is a spoof of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s power ballads. Fans of musical theater will instantly pick up on these jabs as they appear throughout the show.

Of course, a Monty Python musical wouldn’t be complete without some of the troupe’s more popular songs. In addition to new material, the audience is treated to reinventions of the Python classics “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life,” “Finland” and “Knights of the Round Table.”

While intended for those familiar with Monty Python material, the songs are entertaining enough to keep the attention of non-fans as well. With a mix of familiar and new, the music for “Monty Python’s Spamalot” is a success – so much so that it even won a Grammy in 2005 for Best Musical Score.

Since its opening in Toronto this summer, the tour has quickly broken box-office records. The “Spamalot” tour is the highest grossing show in national tour history. On Broadway, “Spamalot” won Tony awards for Best Musical and Best Direction of a Musical.

With its long list of accolades, “Spamalot” is a treat that shouldn’t be missed. If the Killer Rabbit doesn’t scare you, then bang two coconuts together and gallop off to see “Monty Python’s Spamalot.”