Honorary Bob O’Connor bill passes in House

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

The House of Representatives passed House Resolution 983 on Tuesday, officially recognizing… The House of Representatives passed House Resolution 983 on Tuesday, officially recognizing and honoring the accomplishments of former mayor Bob O’Connor.

The legislation, introduced by Rep. Mike Doyle, (Pa.-14), and Rep. Tim Murphy, (Pa.-18), was introduced to the floor in a speech given by Rep. Doyle on Sept. 6.

Rep. Doyle talked about the reasons why a bill honoring O’Connor is necessary.

“Pittsburgh has lost a promising leader,” Rep. Doyle said in front of the House of Representatives. “Our community was excited and enthusiastic about the good things that he and his administration were going to do for the city. That’s why his death has been such a blow to the citizens of Pittsburgh. We felt that it was fitting that the nation officially recognize his passing in this manner.”

“The new administration was welcomed enthusiastically by all of Pittsburgh, and the Mayor began to implement his plans for revitalizing our downtown, solving the City’s budget woes, and stemming the City’s ongoing population loss,” Rep. Doyle said.

After giving a biographical account of Mr. O’Connor’s life, Rep. Doyle asked all in attendance to recognize the O’Connor family, including the former mayor’s wife Judy, their three children and several grandchildren.

Rep. Doyle and Rep. Murphy sponsored the bill with “approximately a dozen other congressmen,” according to Matt Dinkel, a spokesman for Rep. Doyle.

After several speeches honoring O’Connor were given on the floor, the House passed the resolution by voice vote. O’Connor’s family watched the procedure from the House Gallery.

Rep. Doyle closed his speech by urging his fellow colleagues in Congress to pass this honorary posthumous bill in remembrance of O’Connor.

“I urge my colleagues in the House to join me in paying our respects to this quintessential American — family man, businessman, man of faith, philanthropist, and public servant — and in celebrating his remarkable life.”