Wegman art ruff to ignore

By ROSS RADER

“It’s a Dog’s Life: Photographs by William Wegman from the Polaroid Collection”

William… “It’s a Dog’s Life: Photographs by William Wegman from the Polaroid Collection”

William Wegman

Through Nov. 4

Silver Center for Photography

1015 East Carson Street, South Side

(412) 431-1810

Man Ray, Fay Ray, Battina, Crooky, Chundo, Chip, Bobbin, Candy and Penny are very photogenic.

Oftentimes, they pose naked. From time to time, they wear black leather collars. What they do is unusual, amusing and shocking. And, they’re all dogs.

William Wegman’s Polaroid’s are not just for dog lovers. They’re original and startling snapshots that can be appreciated by many — even cat lovers. The Weimaraners that Wegman captures have become renowned worldwide — so much so that Man Ray, the celebrated dog in many of Wegman’s photos, was named “Man of the Year” in 1982 by Village Voice.

The “Man of the Year,” and his canine friends can be viewed at Pittsburgh’s Silver Eye Center for Photography through Nov. 4. “It’s a Dog’s Life: Photographs by William Wegman from the Polaroid Camera,” features 28 of Wegman’s Weimaraner dogs.

In a number of his photos, Wegman captures his dogs in entertaining poses. For instance, in his Polaroid “Stud” Wegman photographs a dog getting fit on an exercise bike. In another Polaroid, “Serving Trout,” dogs dressed in colonial-style clothing stand around a table.

In other Polaroids, Wegman captures the Weimaraner fixed in dramatic poses. In “Roadwork,” a dog lies on an open plain with an expansive evening sky. A setting sun paints cirrus clouds with orange and yellow hues. In this particular Polaroid, Wegman stresses space and color as the Weimaraner becomes a minute object in the foreground, engulfed in the vastness of the sky and the colors of the setting sun.

Likewise, in “Floor Piece II,” a Weimaraner dog lies on a black floor and in front of a dark backdrop, all of which are spotted with small white confetti. This image provides a contrast that draws the viewer into the photo. Many can admire the stunning illusions that contrast has on the eye.

Wegman began his work in Polaroids in 1979. He was invited to Cambridge, Mass., along with prominent artists such as Andy Warhol and Chuck Close, to try the new Polaroid 20