Rock that rolls with activism

By KATE MICKERE

Crosby, Stills, Nash ‘ Young

Freedom of Speech Tour

Post-Gazette Pavillion

Sunday at… Crosby, Stills, Nash ‘ Young

Freedom of Speech Tour

Post-Gazette Pavillion

Sunday at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $36 lawn, $51-$151 pavillion

Crosby, Stills, Nash ‘ Young became national icons after using their beautiful harmonies to spread their powerful political messages to a throng of hippies and idealistic youths at Woodstock, one of the great rock festivals. This took place in 1969, a time when America was concerned with Vietnam, protests and Nixon.

Almost 40 years later, CSNY are on protest again with their Freedom of Speech tour. The group is still singing those haunting political ballads, but with a slightly different image. Instead of four young, long-haired men performing inspiring songs for the counterculture of America, we now find four men in their 60s, performing for a more mainstream audience. Their music is still inspiring, however, and their hair is still long — no matter how balding they may be.

President Bush and the war in Iraq are the new targets in the politically charged show. Combining new songs from Neil Young’s album, Living with War, with old favorites, the group protests and entertains for an impressive three-hour set.

The marathon concert begins with a few well-known CSNY hits. Songs like the beautiful “Wooden Ships” and “Find the Cost of Freedom” are classic CSNY. The songs are not instantly recognizable with their new, electric openings but are well received once the audience realizes which songs it’s hearing. While still wonderful performers, the members of CSNY aren’t quite what they were and often disappoint when failing to hit those signature high notes.

The show gets more political as the tunes shift from old favorites to Young’s new material. Songs with titles like “Shock and Awe,” “Living With War” and “Wounded World” prove that, for now, Young has a one-track mind. While these new songs are likeable, it can prove boring to listen to them at a concert. Especially in this setting, where the crowds are longing for a “greatest hits” of CSNY and are instead being preached to about consumerism and government by Young.

Crosby, Stills and Nash take back control of the stage for the next portion of the concert, playing the hits the audience has been longing for. With each concert, the group mesmerizes with the groovy “Deja vu.” David Crosby and Graham Nash perform a beautiful version of the eerie ballad “Guinivere” and the whole group brings the audience to its feet on the uplifting “Our House.”

One of the show’s highlights is Stephen Stills singing his major hit “For What It’s Worth.” While a politically charged song in the ’60s, it still holds its power today. When listened to now, it seems as if the song is addressing the issues of the present and not those of the Vietnam War. The lyrics could easily become an anthem for today’s youth: “There’s battle lines being drawn/Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong/Young people speaking their minds/Getting so much resistance from behind.” This riveting song sets us up for the last portion of the show — a charged-up, anti-war rally.

Perhaps the most outright political display is Young’s controversial new song “Let’s Impeach the President.” The upbeat anti-Bush tune has already received considerable media coverage for its liberal lyrics. Much of the press feels that this song is just an attempt to sell more records.

Marketing stunt or not, the song is catchy and fun. Part of its success is the giant screen behind the stage that shows clips of Bush flip-flopping on different arguments. Underneath the clips are the lyrics to the tune, sing-a-long style. The audience is encouraged to sing the lyrics and shout “Flip-flop!” and “No more lies!” The enthusiasm of the band is infectious, and soon the whole crowd is joining in the battle cry. The band even sells pairs of presidential flip-flops at the merchandise stands.

The most riveting and awesome moment of the concert is in its finale, “Rockin’ in the Free World.” The 15-minute ending is a tribute to the amazing musicianship of the group. Who knew that these 60something folk singers could run around and wail on electric guitars like 30-year-old rockers? The ending is uplifting and sends the audience away with the feeling that it just experienced a piece of rock history.

Crosby, Stills, Nash ‘ Young bring their Freedom of Speech Tour to Pittsburgh on Sunday. The show is a treat for fans of classic rock and anyone who enjoys a little Bush bashing.