Clemente biographer visits Pitt

By MARIA MASTERS

David Maraniss was watching television the night the Pirates won the last game of the 1971… David Maraniss was watching television the night the Pirates won the last game of the 1971 World Series.

Before the Pirates’ legendary MVP and right fielder Roberto Clemente answered any questions from reporters, he asked to give his blessings to his family in Puerto Rico in his native language.

In Spanish, Clemente said: “I want to ask for my parents’ blessings and give blessings to my brothers and to my sons.”

Although Maraniss didn’t realize it at the time, he now believes that in that moment, the mythology of Clemente began, elevating him to the status of a hero among Latinos.

“That moment resonated so strongly within the Spanish world,” Maraniss said. “People have told me that their dads were crying when they heard it.”

Maraniss, an associate editor at the Washington Post, signed copies of his new book, a biography of the legendary baseball player, at the University Book Center at noon yesterday.

More than 20 people gathered to hear the writer give a speech about Clemente’s life and why Maraniss believes Clemente’s outspoken attitude, talent and death made him the patron saint of Latinos.

“The whole winter [of 1971], he was the prince of Puerto Rico,” Maraniss said.

Maraniss has written seven books, including biographies of Bill Clinton and Vince Lombardi. Because of Clemente’s concern for others, generosity with children and talent as a baseball player, Maraniss says this book is the closest to his soul.

Maraniss said he still winces at the title, however: “Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball’s Last Hero.”

“I think ‘hero’ is overused,” Maraniss said. “You can have a favorite player or idol, but what is a hero? But he is the classic definition of a hero, he gave his life for others.”