Welcome, new students, to your daily newspaper

By JESSICA LEAR

Hello and welcome. THis is the New Student Guide, put together by the staff of The Pitt News… Hello and welcome. THis is the New Student Guide, put together by the staff of The Pitt News for you, the new students. It includes a whole heap of information we thought you might find useful, including everything from Pitt victory song lyrics to where you can find dinosaur bones.

In case you were wondering, The Pitt News is the University’s independent student newspaper. Our editorial side is comprised of about 100 undergrads, and the buisiness staff includes about 25. During the fall and spring semesters, the paper comes daily, Monday through Friday, and in the summer it’s out on Wednesdays. Oh, and the cool part for you is that it’s free.

We’re always looking for new writers, photographers, writers, designers, copy editors, ad reps, writers, cartoonists, Web guys, and, oh yeah, writers. We send people all over the place to cover everything from football games to Groundhog Day. Our A’E writers get to review movies, albums, plays, restaurants, books and art exhibits. Columnists earn minor celebrity status and let their opinions be known. And did I mention that we pay? So stop by our office – 434 William Pitt Union – and pick up an application.

Or, if you don’t feel like working for us, we hope you’ll at least keep reading. And let us know what you think. Visit our Web site at www.pittnews.com, e-mail me at [email protected], call me at (412) 648-7985, or just stop by the office to chat or rant or whatever.

Congratulations on getting here, best of luck with the next few years, and welcome to Pitt!