In sickness and in health, Pitt resources have you covered

By ANGELA HAYES

Freshmen: You are arriving at Pitt to live, not just to visit. For eight months out of the… Freshmen: You are arriving at Pitt to live, not just to visit. For eight months out of the year, this is your home. So, where do you go if you have a cold? Or want to exercise and ward off the dreaded “Freshman 15?” Who can help you get a jumpstart on planning for your future or where can you go when you just need someone to talk to?

Pitt offers many free resources to its students, though you may not know it. From health and fitness to academic guidance, you can find all of the resources you need to keep healthy and happy during the school year.

Student Health Services

Hours: Clinic — Mon.-Fri. 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

Pharmacy — Mon-Fri. 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

Student Health Services, located on the fifth floor of the Medical Arts Building at 3708 Fifth Ave., provides everything from routine medical checkups to nutrition counseling and prescriptions for that cold that just won’t go away with Tylenol alone. The physicians and nurse practitioners provide lab work for those precautionary visits when you want to make sure you didn’t catch strep throat or mono from your roommate and can help answer even your most personal questions. They can also refer you to specialists in the area to suit your needs. For women, Student Health offers gynecological services such as routine examinations and contraceptive options. The pharmacy has discounted prices on prescriptions for students and other over the counter medications. The best part: If you call for an appointment, you can usually get one that same day. For more information on Student Health Services, check out their Web site at www.studhlth.pitt.edu. To make an appointment call (412) 383-1800.

Counseling Center

Hours: Mon, Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.-9 p.m., Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.

Pitt’s Counseling Center offers free and confidential services to students. Staffed by psychologists, counselors and social workers, the Counseling Center provides counseling to nearly 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year. Whether you need someone to listen or just want to get over your fear of public speaking, the Counseling Center located at 334 in the William Pitt Union can help. It offers students counseling on a variety of topics and a number of support groups for coping with alcohol and drug problems, anxiety and sexual assault. The Counseling Center helps students manage stress and provides guidance to help with academic decisions. Learn more about the Counseling Center and its services online at www.counseling.pitt.edu.

Fitness Centers

The Petersen Events Center:

Hours: Mon-Thurs 7 a.m.-11 p.m., Fri: 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Sat-Sun: 10 a.m.-10 p.m.

Joe C. Trees Hall:

Hours: Mon-Fri 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Sat-Sun 12 p.m.-5 p.m.

Pool Hours: Mon-Thurs 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Fri 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.

Bellefield Fitness Center

Hours: Mon-Thurs 7 a.m.-9:30 p.m., Fri 7 a.m.-8:30 p.m., Sat-Sun 12 p.m.-5 p.m.

Pool Hours: Mon-Thurs 7 a.m.-8:30 p.m., Fri 7 a.m.- 7:30 p.m., Sat-Sun 12 p.m.-5 p.m.

From treadmills and weight machines to racquetball and rock climbing, Pitt’s fitness centers provide equipment and services to help students keep in shape. Although the walk to the Petersen Events Center may be all the exercise you need, a swipe of your student ID can give you access to its workout facilities. The gym at Bellefield Hall and Joe C. Trees Hall both have weight rooms and a pool that is free for students. Smaller scale gyms can be found in some dormitories, such as Litchfield Towers, Amos Hall in the Quad and Lothrop Hall, but can only be used by building residents during regular fall and spring terms. Check online at www.education.pitt.edu/intramurals/index.asp to find out additional information about Pitt’s fitness facilities.

Academic Resource Center

Hours: Mon-Thurs 8:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m. Fri- 8:30 a.m. -5:00 p.m.

Want to learn how to take notes effectively in your Intro to Psych class or learn strategies to improve your memory during study time? Turn to the Academic Resource Center, located in G-1 of the Gardener Steel Conference Center. Also a free service to Pitt students, the ARC offers tutoring, study-skills workshops and general student support. Need help writing your first college-level paper? The staff at the Writing Center, located at M-2 in Thaw Hall, can help.

You can make an appointment with experienced consultants who have been trained to help students with their writing. Creative writers can gain support and insight through The Writers’ Cafe, a workshop and writing exercise gathering. If you can’t make the trek up to Thaw Hall, The Writing Center has “drop-in” sites at Hillman Library and in Litchfield Tower A. The staff at the Writing Center can point you in the right direction and help you to improve your writing throughout your college career.

Panther Central

Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week

What do you do If you lose your student ID or get locked out of your room at three o’clock in the morning? Call or visit Panther Central. Located in the lobby of Litchfield Towers, Panther Central offers immediate help to students in even their most stressful situations. Contact them at (412) 648-1100.