Local hip-hop group will showcase unique style in South Side

By MIKE SMITH

The Sole Vibe

with J.Rec, Steel Town Sounds, others

Saturday, 10 p.m.

Hkan Hookah Bar… The Sole Vibe

with J.Rec, Steel Town Sounds, others

Saturday, 10 p.m.

Hkan Hookah Bar

The South Side

(412) 381-1813

Along with the local bands that have been gaining popularity this past year, The Sole Vibe continues to exhilarate with an independent hip-hop style. The seven members comprising The Sole Vibe each have their own approaches and methods, and they’re showcasing their unique blend of talent on Saturday at the Hkan Hookah Bar in the South Side.

The Sole Vibe consists of AV, Jfish, Keelay, Mario Dones, Slo-Motionopolis, Zaire and The Whooligan. Well on their way to becoming one of the most notable hip-hop performers in the area, The Sole Vibe’s artists have a sound ranging from Blackstar to Pittsburgh’s own Lone Catalysts.

“I think we cover a wide variety when it comes to our style,” Armand Ventura, or AV, said in an interview, “which is why we can appeal to almost everyone who likes this genre.”

One of the strongest aspects of The Sole Vibe’s music is its appreciation for the underground hip-hop technique and its apparent distance from commercial rap. Its songs, most of which consist of at least two or three of the members at a time, range from R’B to soul hip-hop.

The atmosphere of the Hkan Hookah Bar provides a good forum for The Sole Vibe’s style of music. “You can’t ask for a better scene. Our music just seems to go along with the vibe of the place,” AV said.

The Sole Vibe has performed with notable hip-hop performers such as Zion-I, Kev Brown and Oddisee.

Currently, The Sole Vibe is working on a new album, “The Appetizer,” which is due out later in the summer. In the meantime, the band will be performing songs from its soon-to-be released album as well as original compositions from previous works.

Other performers on Saturday will include J. Rec, Steel Town Sounds and more.