Greek Sing raises cash for Cancer Institute, full of dance and song

By NIKKI SCHWAB

There were dirty doctors and naughty nurses, showgirls and racecar drivers.

Costumed… There were dirty doctors and naughty nurses, showgirls and racecar drivers.

Costumed fraternity and sorority members performed at a packed Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall Friday night at the annual Greek Sing.

Every year, fraternities are paired with sororities to perform a medley of songs and dances to raise money for charity while competing against one another. Sisters and brothers spend months selecting music, choreographing their acts and constructing scenery for the event, which is part of Greek Week.

This year’s competition was close.

The nurses of Kappa Kappa Gamma, paired with the doctors of Sigma Alpha Epsilon came in first place by one point.

“We were double checking and triple checking to make sure we did the scoring right,” Fraternity and Sorority Life Coordinator Chris Meaner said.

The group started with the theme song to “ER.” They went to “cardiac central” and danced to “Don’t Phunk with My Heart” by the Black Eyed Peas and “Open Your Heart to Me” by Madonna.

The respiratory unit included Maroon 5’s “Harder to Breathe.” They ended their set falling to the floor to the sound of a crashing heart monitor. They also won Best Scenery for their hospital backdrop.

Delta Delta Delta, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Tau Epsilon Phi came in second place, picking up the award for Most Original Theme with “Dancing Through the Decades.”

Flappers transitioned to bikers as “Leader of the Pack” played. Brothers danced to New Kids on the Block in the ’80s and sisters took over as the Spice Girls in the ’90s. The finale was to music of today, N.E.R.D.’s “She Likes to Move.”

In third place – and also the winner of Best Choreography – pajama-clad sisters of Delta Zeta were enticed by the masked sandmen of Alpha Epsilon to come to a tropical dream world. Sisters shed the pajamas for flowing skirts and danced to Sean Paul’s “Temperature.”

However, the sisters returned to their bedroom and their PJs for the finale, which featured the obnoxious ringing of an alarm clock.

The Best Singing award went to Alpha Delta Pi, who performed a Battle of the Sexes set with Pi Kappa Alpha.

Kappa Sigma, paired with Sigma Delta Tau and Theta Nu Xi, performed songs that had to do with bling.

Other groups also had unique themes.

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. brothers excited the ladies in the crowd by mixing seductive dance moves to more traditional stepping to start out the night.

Sisters of Chi Omega and brothers of Phi Kappa Theta, dressed as racecar drivers, did a fast-paced set to car-themed music.

Theta Phi Alpha and Sigma Chi danced to the exotic sounds of India.

The sisters of Alpha Epsilon Phi, with the brothers of Delta Chi, dressed as Pitt Pathfinders, cheerleaders and football players and did a song-and-dance tour of the University. They performed in front of elaborate scenery of the Petersen Events Center and the Cathedral of Learning.

Zach Ransom of Lambda Chi Alpha and Michelle Turbanic of Kappa Delta were hosts.

Greek Sing raised thousands of dollars for the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute.