Ultimate team advances again

By BILAL MUHAMMAD

En Sabah Nur, Pitt’s men’s ultimate Frisbee team, has two weeks to prepare for a showdown in… En Sabah Nur, Pitt’s men’s ultimate Frisbee team, has two weeks to prepare for a showdown in the East.

Because the team won the Western Pennsylvania Sectionals this weekend, it will go on to the Metro-East Regionals in Princeton, N.J., at the end of this month. If it finishes as one of the top two there, it will qualify to play in the Ultimate Players Association’s College Championship, somewhere it’s been before.

Last spring, En Sabah Nur earned a spot at the championship.

Team Coach David Lionetti said that what makes this team successful is found not only among the players but within them as well.

“These guys just work extremely well,” Lionetti said, adding that their work ethic keeps them going.

Comprised of 14 returning members on a 15-man team, En Sabah Nur, Lionetti said, is a “mixture of talented players.”

The UPA ranked Pitt’s team in the top 25, and the National Ultimate Media Panel, a poll similar to ESPN/USA Today coaches poll, also ranked Pitt in its top 25.

Lionetti said that this weekend’s performance will place En Sabah Nur in good standing for the regionals.

“[We] should be one of the top seeds. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t be,” he said.