Land of the free needs to welcome all immigrants

By NATASHA SURLES

Founded by immigrants and honored as a safe haven for the oppressed, the United States is now… Founded by immigrants and honored as a safe haven for the oppressed, the United States is now struggling to decide the fate of as many as 12 million people living in the country illegally. Our country is known as the land of opportunity, yet we are attempting to close our doors to those who help to make our society diverse and who keep our economy steady.

It is imperative that the Senate avoid passing tougher laws against the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants. These laws will take away from the melting pot that makes our country unique.

According to Yahoo! News, President Bush, who is working with Congress, said that overhauling the nation’s immigration laws “is not going to be easy” and that “the immigration debate should be conducted in a civil and dignified way” – probably the most impressive thing he has said since being elected.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., has created a bill that incorporates much of the White House’s ideology on the issue, as well as features from legislation by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass. The compromise seems sensible in its approach to immigration, making it very different from the automatic xenophobia that we’ve become used to from Congress.

The focus is on tightening border security and creating a program that allows the millions of people already in the country illegally to obtain guest-worker permits. Also, employers would have to demonstrate that U.S. workers wouldn’t take the position offered to the guest workers.

Once the visa has expired, probably after six years, the workers could apply for U.S. citizenship. Their applications would be processed after those of legal immigrants waiting in line, and they would have to pay hefty fines. Thus, contrary to the accusations of opponents, the law would by no means reward people who came to this country illegally, nor is it unfair to those who played by the rules.

This compromise has created a split within the Republican Party. Democrats have said they will do everything they can to block Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist’s, R-Tenn., alternative bill, which would tighten borders, add Border Patrol agents and punish employers who hire illegal immigrants.

Protests raged across the country over the weekend; more than 500,000 people marched through downtown Los Angeles on Saturday in one of the largest demonstrations for any cause in recent U.S. history. Marchers also took to the streets in Phoenix, Milwaukee, Dallas and Columbus, Ohio.

The real question seems to be where you stand on the issue. As for me, I feel that different ethnicities are what helped to build this country. Our immigration system is extremely broken; we absolutely need reform, but at what cost? Are we willing to deport the millions of illegal immigrants who fuel our economy? Economic studies suggest that, overall, illegal immigration is a slight plus for the American economy.

It’s true we need and benefit from hard-working, non-native Americans. The biggest groups of immigrants take jobs that most Americans don’t even consider taking. Immigrants in general take on a variety of roles in our society. They become students, workers, business owners, clergymen and investors, just to name a few.

According to the National Academy of Sciences, in all their combined roles, immigrants make indispensable contributions to our economy:

“They are actually an essential proportion of our workforce. Immigrants and their children bring long-term economic benefits to the United States as a whole. Immigrants add about $10 billion each year to the U.S. economy. This estimate does not include the impact of immigrant-owned businesses or the impact of highly skilled immigrants on overall productivity.”

Where would this country be without the help of the many people of different ethnicities who help to form and fuel the work force? Why should we push people away with harsh laws? What if other countries created harsh laws that would prevent Americans from going aboard and experiencing their cultures.

It is the Senate’s responsibility as a historical institution to pass immigration legislation that reflects the country’s needs and that doesn’t take away from its melting pot of democracy.

If you have any comments or concerns about the new immigration laws feel free to e-mail Natasha at [email protected].