Campaign closes in on 1 billion dollars

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

Pitt is almost $1 billion richer.

The University’s Discover a World of Possibilities capital… Pitt is almost $1 billion richer.

The University’s Discover a World of Possibilities capital campaign – the most successful fundraising effort in the history of Southwestern Pennsylvania – recently reached $910 million.

The project started in fiscal year 1998.

Pitt’s fundraising success is because of individual and corporate contributions. Chancellor Mark Nordenberg said on Feb. 24 that the University received 182 donations of $1 million or more, and some of those donors have no previous donation history or connection to the University.

However, not all of the success is because of outside sources.

“It’s really the hard work of the faculty, alumni and students,” Associate Vice Chancellor Tom Crawford said. “Part of the success is the great students that are here.”

Crawford also thanked the alumni who are successful and want to give back to Pitt.

The Discover a World of Possibilities campaign created 309 new scholarships, 28 new endowed fellowships and 64 new faculty positions. The campaign also finances research programs, Student Life initiatives and University facilities.

The campaign is scheduled to end in 2007, but Crawford added that Pitt could reach the billion-dollar mark within a year.

“We’re at the point where we need to start figuring out what to do when we reach the end,” Crawford said.