Fair highlights various aspects of health for Pitt students

By ANDY MEDICI

There’s no difference between sexual assault and rape in the state of Pennsylvania.

Well,… There’s no difference between sexual assault and rape in the state of Pennsylvania.

Well, anyone who attended the Safe, Sane and Sexy counseling event in the William Pitt Union and played the dating game yesterday would know that that statement is false.

The dating game invited students to spin an arrow and answer a question related to sexual assault. At the same time, it gave students a chance to learn more about the Sexual Assault Services section of Pitt’s Counseling Center.

The Academic Resource Center offered students pamphlets on time management and organizational skills.

Dyana Murrell, a Pitt senior and ARC tutor, said that these and other skills are especially important during finals week.

“Be organized, be prepared and always ask questions,” Murrell said. “And don’t procrastinate.”

Career Services also had information for students about the best ways to get jobs and internships, both during and after college.

Junior Nancy Luckett and senior Charla Newhouse are both peer career advisers who gave their advice to potential job seekers.

“I would say to talk to as many people as you can,” Newhouse said.

She said some tools that would help students meet people are Pitt’s online resource PantherTraks and networks with Pitt alumni.

“Something like 80 percent of jobs are not posted,” Luckett said. “So the best way to find jobs are through conversation.”

Student Health Services also presented students with an abundance of information. Three tables filled with pamphlets on substance abuse, healthy eating and safe sex were interspersed with stress balls, key chains and condoms.

Meghan Cavanaugh, a graduate student at the Health Education Office at Pitt, recognized a common theme from the information and giveaways.

“I think it’s especially important at this time of year with finals and students getting stressed out,” Cavanaugh said.

Nichole Wood-Barcalow, a psychology intern at the Counseling Center, said that all of the information and services provided at the event are geared toward helping students be happy.

“We’re just trying to educate students on how to be safe, sane and be in a sexy relationship,” Wood-Barcalow said.