University pushing toward wireless Internet across entire

By ANGELA HAYES

Pitt graduate students Alex Montoro and Mike Russo sat at a table in Posvar Hall with their… Pitt graduate students Alex Montoro and Mike Russo sat at a table in Posvar Hall with their laptops in dueling positions, both connected to wireless Internet signals. While working on some homework, Russo searched online for the perfect adoptable pit bull.

“This is what happens when I have wireless,” he said.

The University is in the “pre-mature” stages of implementing wireless Internet service campus wide, according to Jinx Walton, director of Pitt’s Computing Services and Systems Development.

Walton said that CSSD made this decision because the University has seen a significant increase in use and popularity of wireless Internet among faculty and students since it was first introduced in 2002.

“It just kind of gradually grew as people realized it was there and began using it,” she said. “I think as other universities implement wireless, students grow to expect it.”

After meeting with student and faculty focus groups, Walton said that the groups made it clear that they “more or less” expected Pitt to implement wireless throughout the entire campus. She said that CSSD will begin the plan early this summer and that she expects it to span over a two-year period.

“Our goal with wireless is to really make sure that it is reliable,” she said. “Once we have it across campus, everyone will know they can depend on it.”

Wireless Internet will not replace the wired Internet that students use in campus dorm rooms. Students will be able to access wireless Internet in dorm common rooms, lounges and laundry rooms, which students listed as a priority area they would like to have the service.

“Their interest is doing what they need to do, anytime there is down time,” Walton said about Pitt students. “Convenience is one of the major benefits.”

Andrea Arrington, a graduate student at Pitt who uses wireless Internet, said that doing homework on her laptop at a local coffee shop between classes is more convenient than traveling home. She said that she likes being able to choose the best environment to do her work.

“I’m not tied to a computer lab to complete work,” she said. “I can go somewhere and spread out.”

Amanda Virbitsky, a junior Pitt student, has a desktop computer at her apartment and often does homework at the computer labs on campus. She said that she has been thinking about purchasing a laptop.

“If Pitt did put in wireless, I could use that. I wouldn’t have to go to the computer labs,” she said.

Jill Chen, a graduate student at Pitt, enjoys being able to take advantage of wireless Internet around campus, from restaurants like Panera to Alumni Hall.

Chen said that she thinks the convenience of wireless Internet would encourage people to purchase laptops.

“Once you have wireless, you start thinking of its convenience,” she said.

Walton said that technology has reached a stage where people are accessing the Internet in a variety of places from a table at Starbucks to kiosks in shopping malls. She said that Pitt’s goal is to have leading edge technology.

“We don’t want to be lagging behind,” she said. “We want to be up there with those universities and have the same services.”

According to Walton, offering wireless Internet campus wide would be cost saving for the University, because the volume of the project would mean discounts on installations, equipment and services.

Going wireless would also increase Pitt’s competitiveness with other schools and aid in student recruitment. She said that technology is becoming more and more important to students while selecting a school.

“What wireless gives you is mobility and flexibility,” she said. “Our goal is to cover the campus with wireless.”