Stones at halftime

By KATE MICKERE

The Rolling Stones probably never had the desire to watch a football game during their 40-year… The Rolling Stones probably never had the desire to watch a football game during their 40-year reign in the world of sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll.

They will, however, be in attendance at this year’s Super Bowl. The rock legends are set to perform during the game’s halftime. The Stones are taking a break from their “A Bigger Bang” World Tour to come to Detroit and strut their stuff in front of the football crowd.

While their set list is still unknown, the Super Bowl producers hope that the Rolling Stones will show some taste in their musical choices. Considering that the Stones are part of rock history because of their daring and shocking lyrics and on-stage stunts, this might be a hard bargain for the Stones to make.

It is certain, however, that the Stones will not be playing their new song “Sweet Neo-Con,” which is thought to poke fun of the Bush administration.

After the famous “wardrobe malfunction” with Janet Jackson in 2004, the Super Bowl seemed to be looking for more conservative acts. Paul McCartney’s performance last year seemed to get rid of the racy reputation set by Jackson. The producers might be following a pattern by booking the Rolling Stones – not that the Stones have ever been considered conservative.

According to the Super Bowl’s Web site, superbowl.com, the impression that the Stones make will be important. The Super Bowl has the highest ratings of any television program of the year.

Sir Paul McCartney’s record sales went up 250 percent after his appearance at the Super Bowl last year. U2 jumped from No. 108 to No. 8 on the Billboard charts after their Super Bowl stint in 2002. With a world tour and a new album, the Stones have already had a stellar 2005. A successful halftime show could shoot them even higher.

Ironically, this is Super Bowl XL. The first Super Bowl was played in 1966, the time when the Rolling Stones were just beginning to hit career highs. They were the second most popular band in Great Britain – only second to the Beatles.

Aretha Franklin will sing the National Anthem and Stevie Wonder will be performing a tribute to Motown before the start of the game.