City gives Steelers parade

By MARIA MASTERS

Jim Scott had the best view in the house.

Standing on the first-floor window ledge of a… Jim Scott had the best view in the house.

Standing on the first-floor window ledge of a building, he towered over the mob of people with a near-perfect view of the street. Black and gold covered the sidewalks as fans waved terrible towels and posters in anticipation.

“All I need is a six-pack or a keg,” said Scott, who has lived in Pittsburgh his entire life. “I was with them when they were down and I’m with them when they are on top.”

But behind him, someone had taped a sign that read, “Seattle fans,” with an arrow pointing to Scott and his friends.

“They are just mad because now they can’t see,” Scott said.

As the fans of people crowded along the streets near Gateway Center, some people climbed trees, crowded into open parking garages or climbed onto overhangs to get a better view.

Doug Peyton and Scott Slater have always liked the Steelers. Although the two men were born in and are from Illinois, they say they are “rabid Steelers fans.”

When asked how that was possible, Douglas shrugged.

“Just smart I guess,” he said.

The two men arrived in Pittsburgh yesterday after driving from Illinois.

“We have been waiting for 25 years,” Douglas said.

The parade began at Mellon Arena at 11 a.m., and ended in front of Point Park. In between, thousands of fans cheered the Steelers as they rode through the streets.

Following Art Rooney II, head coach Bill Cowher and his team rolled through the crowd.

Close behind Cowher, some of the defensive players rode on the roof of a car. Safety Troy Polamalu jumped up and down on the hood of the car as the crowd chanted, “De-fense, de-fense.”

While some fans rushed into the streets and grabbed for the players’ hands, Polamalu jumped off the car into the arms of others.

Until Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger appeared, the police had kept the majority of the people off the street. But by the time he arrived, there was just enough room for the width of one car.

After Roethlisberger passed, the crowd began to chant “Joey, Joey,” as Steelers linebacker Joey Porter caught fans’ Terrible Towels and autographed them.

As Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward approached, mounted police tried to use their horses to clear a wider path for his vehicle. The receiver smiled and waved at fans, saying, “Thank you,” as the crowd chanted “MVP, MVP.”

Behind the police on horseback, a police cruiser led the way for a convertible carrying running back Jerome Bettis. Bettis sat holding the Lombardi Trophy as fans surrounded the car.

As he passed, Scott jumped off the window ledge.

“I’m going to Point Park,” he said, before disappearing into the crowd.

For additional chaos and parade pictures, Click Here.