Chronicling the war heard ’round the world

By JACOB SPEARS

“Clash of Empires”

Through April 23

Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh…

“Clash of Empires”

Through April 23

Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center

1212 Smallman St.

The Strip District

(412) 454-6000

The Seven Years’ War, which Winston Churchill deemed “the first world war,” began as a quarrel between France and Britain over control of North America but ended with Britain’s empire expanding around the globe.

The Heinz History Center’s current exhibit, “Clash of Empires,” features hundreds of artifacts from the period and delves deeper into this global war through its close attention to detail and its lifelike recreations of prominent historical figures.

“Clash of Empires” walks museum-goers through the war’s North American events, ranging from the buildup of the tensions along the Ohio River Valley to the drastic changes in political attitudes among the colonists following the war that saw many people converting from loyalists to revolutionaries.

Along the way, viewers encounter a vast assortment of media that has been gathered from around the world. The display of nearly 300 objects makes up the most comprehensive and largest French and Indian War exhibition in the world.

First are the artifacts, which include weaponry and clothing as well as medals, letters and documents involving different facets of the war.

There is also a series of nine life-size figures created by Gerry Embleton. These all represent actual historical figures from some of the more dramatic moments of the war, such as when French soldiers burned their own flags during the capitulation of Canada so as not to surrender them to the British.

“Clash of Empires” is also a fine-arts showcase of 32 paintings from the 18th century – also the largest number of period paintings from the time ever shown in one exhibit. Many of them depict famous battles scenes, such as General Braddock’s defeat and Benjamin West’s “General Johnson Saving a Wounded French Officer from the Tomahawk of an Indian.”

Scott Stephenson, Ph.D., curator of the exhibit, said the idea of the exhibit generated eager responses from museums and private collectors willing to loan their artifacts.

“With their help, we’ve gathered a remarkable cross-section of the most important and revealing items of the period for the ‘Clash of Empires’ exhibit,” Stephenson said.

With an examination of each empire’s stake in the Ohio River Valley – not just France and Britain but also the Native American nations that occupied the land – the exhibit goes on to explore the ventures of a young General Washington and the first two battles of the war.

Initially, this scene is set with information on Washington’s ambush on the French at Jumonville Glen in May 1754, where French officer Joseph Coulon de Jumonvillee was killed while held as Washington’s prisoner. “Clash of Empires” then offers viewers a detailed account of the Battle of Fort Necessity, the outcome of which contributed directly to the onset of global warfare.

A famous quote by Horace Walpole, 18th century British statesman, describes the scene as thus: “A volley fired by a young Virginian in the backwoods of America set the world on fire.”

After a day-long battle located several miles from present-day Uniontown, Pa., Washington had no choice but to surrender to the French. A lifelike sculpture envisions 22-year-old Washington distraught and hunched over while holding the Treaty of Fort Necessity – a striking contrast from the idealized images of the founding father we are used to.

The original Treaty of Fort Necessity, written in French, can be found here at the exhibit encased in glass. The document, which is visiting Western Pa. for the first time in over 200 years, has been subject to much controversy.

This surrender treaty, signed by Washington, states in one of its clauses that he took full responsibility for the “assassination” of Jumonville. According to most stories, however, Jumonville was actually killed by a Native American chief whose tribe assisted the British.

Washington, who didn’t know French, later claimed that when the treaty was translated for him, the word “assassination” was not used. Nonetheless, when the document returned to France it was used to propagate the war by telling of the French “diplomat” who was “assassinated” by a British officer.

The rest of the exhibit follows the unfolding of the Seven Years’ War.

The dramatic events include General Braddock’s defeat in the Battle of Monongahela (which took place in present-day Kennywood), the British gain of Fort Duquesne after the French abandoned and burned it in November of 1758 and the devastating blow to the French with the Battle of Quebec.

Dioramas of battle scenes, such as the Battle of Monongahela, offer an aerial view giving the audience a layout of how the combat occurred.

The artifacts along the way include a powder horn engraved by John Bush, a black slave captured by the French and renowned for his mastery of the popular craft during the war, and a quill bag of British officer Jeffrey Amherst who assisted in the capture of Quebec. There are also engraved swords, clubs and tomahawks used by Native Americans in the attacks as well as infantry riffles.

“Clash of Empires” ends with a video that briefly celebrates the British victory. But the exhibit as a whole concludes ominously, alluding to the rebellion that would soon ensue and lead to the birth of a nation.