IN MEMORIAM: Leland Holly

By LEIGH REMIZOWSKI

Leland Holly IV collected forks – hundreds, from all over the world. Each was labeled with the… Leland Holly IV collected forks – hundreds, from all over the world. Each was labeled with the date, place and, most importantly, each indicated the people he was with when he used it.

And that is what was important to Holly, the people he spent time with.

Holly, a junior at Pitt, died on Feb. 11 of a traumatic brain injury after falling down a flight of stairs at a party in Greenfield.

“If he wasn’t in class or outside in nature or playing sports, he was with his friends,” said Michael Clougherty, Holly’s friend, roommate and teammate. “It’s what he liked to do best.”

Known by everyone as an avid hockey fan and player, Holly began ice skating at the age of 5, and picked up his first stick when he was 6. He played from then on – from pee-wee to adult leagues.

Holly also skied and started swimming at just six months. “He really excelled athletically on all types of water,” said his father, Leland E. Holly III. “From rock-hard ice to snow to water.”

And Leland Holly was one of his son’s biggest fans.

“He was really very active and had done a lot of things and been a lot of places,” he said. “But most importantly, he was a good guy.”

Also a collector of kites, Holly was a member of a kite-flying club.

“This passion of his was very symbolic of his lifestyle,” said Clougherty. “He was very free spirited, loved to be outside and loved to be in touch with nature.”

But Holly’s patented introduction was what always left an impact on people. “Hi, my name is Leef, like on a tree,” he would say to strangers, revealing his nickname.

“It always got a laugh or a smile,” said Clougherty. “And no one ever forgot him.”

Pitt freshman Jordan Bzik didn’t. After working with him on a business plan in an introduction to business class last semester, Bzik credited much of the group’s accomplishment to Holly, who he said took charge immediately. His tough but caring leadership carried the group through the semester.

“Right away, he volunteered to be the group manager and brought the project together, despite our many setbacks,” Bzik said.

Holly graduated from North Allegheny High school in 2001 and attended both Washington and Jefferson University and the Community College of Allegheny County before coming to Pitt. Holly had recently been admitted to Pitt’s Information Sciences program.

After immediately distinguishing Holly as one of the best students in his database management class, professor Vladimir Zadorozhny hired him to work on a research project involving implementing and developing systems. Holly’s commitment and skill translated well to the research.

“In order to progress, you have to be very hardworking,” Zadorozhny said. “And Leef moved amazingly fast, and he was very responsible.”

And Holly was always willing to lend a helping hand – both in the classroom and outside of it.

Insisting on working for free when Clougherty needed an extra hand at work and coming to his aid to fix a flat tire at 3 a.m. weren’t outside the bounds of friendship for Holly.

“Leef was truly selfless,” Clougherty said. “No matter what, he was always there for me in a jam.”

He even took time each day to check on his elderly neighbors. And when they needed a ride to the doctor’s office, the pharmacy or the grocery store, Holly wouldn’t hesitate to take them.

It was Holly’s charisma and originality, said Clougherty, that drew people to him.

“He always had his own style, his own way of talking and dressing,” he said. “He was genuine.”

Ashley Peters, Pitt grad student and a high-school girlfriend of Holly’s, said that he was always known for his quirkiness, his loyalty and his risk taking. His quick wit and try-anything attitude charmed and attracted people.

“He had a very positive impact on every single person he met,” Peters said. “I think most people are better people after meeting him.”