Lee to give inspiring talk tonight

By JACOB SPEARS

“An Evening with Spike Lee”

Tonight, 8 p.m.

Byham Theater

101 Sixth Street

Cultural… “An Evening with Spike Lee”

Tonight, 8 p.m.

Byham Theater

101 Sixth Street

Cultural District

(412) 456-6666

Tickets free through Pitt Arts or $18 to $60 through Box Office at Theater Square

Perhaps it’s too much to expect America’s greatest directors to pump out an award winner with every effort. Is it a negative that Spielberg’s “1941” and “Hook” haven’t been garnered as much praise as “Schindler’s List” or “Saving Private Ryan?”

Spike Lee made his career out of provocative films throughout the late ’80s and into the ’90s. Sure, his last commercial release, “She Hate Me,” may not have been as groundbreaking, but movies such as “Do the Right Thing” and “Malcolm X” stand as a testament to one of the most powerful voices in the industry today.

Lee will be appearing at the Byham Theater in the Cultural District tonight for a discussion about his films, both as art and social commentary.

Known for his frank and emotional films on racial and social issues, Lee has been considered by many as the premiere black filmmaker. The event, sponsored by the African-American Cultural Center, is a chance for the director’s work to be illuminated in his own words.

Lee grabbed worldwide attention after he received several Oscar nods in ’89 for “Do the Right Thing.” The movie was an explosive phenomenon that was steeped in racial issues based in the Brooklyn, N.Y., neighborhood where Lee grew up.

With this attention under his belt, Lee continued to make race-fueled films such as “Jungle Fever” (1991) and “Malcolm X” (1992). Lee’s recent films, such as “25th Hour” (2002), are not as overtly about race, but the topic often runs as a subplot in his work. However, the pressing issue of moral dilemmas is something that has never left Lee’s work.

Lee’s 60-minute talk at the Byham will feature clips from his more famous works followed by commentary in which the director will explain his artistic choices in constructing certain scenes. While expanding on the topics and relating to the larger issues with which he is dealing, Lee’s talk is sure to be one of depth and passion.

Lee’s discussion is part of a series of events that the AACC runs throughout the year. The organization is the hub of African-American art, culture and history in Pittsburgh and strives to promote the awareness of outstanding contributors to the art world, such as Lee.

Lee’s next film, “The Inside Man,” scheduled to come out sometime this year, is showing promise with an award-winning cast of Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster and Clive Owen. Lee has also mentioned that he plans to create a documentary focusing on the racial tensions that erupted in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Entering into his third decade as a filmmaker, Lee certainly has a lot behind him to look back on and discuss. He has proved himself as one of America’s most innovative filmmakers. Hopefully, his discussion will affirm his ability to continue contributing important, powerfully minded art.