Do pedestrians really always have the right of way?

By NATASHA SURLES

Running late for class is something we all try to avoid. Unfortunately it does happen. As a… Running late for class is something we all try to avoid. Unfortunately it does happen. As a result, some of us risk life and limb just to arrive on time.

Two weeks ago – not thinking of the consequences – I decided to jaywalk at the busy intersection of Forbes and Oakland avenues. The nearest car was approaching the Starbucks, so I knew I had a chance to make it across.

I debated it for a minute. Confident that I could get to the other side, I then decided to take my chances.

When I first started to cross the car was moving at a snail-pace so I thought I could take my sweet time. Changing his mind, the driver in the silver Honda Civic began to accelerate in my direction.

I thought “Wow! Now I have to run.”

Well – unfortunately for me, I had on heels. I crossed my fingers with a “feet-don’t-fail-me-now” expression on my face. When I finally made it to the curb I was astonished. How could that jerk speed up like that?

I kept replaying the situation in my mind. Not once did I believe it was my fault. I assumed that because I was a pedestrian and I had the right of way – in my mind – the driver would take pity on me. Boy, was I wrong.

As soon as I reached my house I explained to my boyfriend what happened. His first reaction was typical. He laughed it off and trivialized my complaint. Then he said, “Are you seriously mad?” I immediately said, “Yes!” returning his gestures with a nasty look.

I couldn’t believe it. Even my boyfriend sided with the driver’s actions. Well – not the speeding up part.

I thought that once he heard what happened to me he would be sympathetic. Instead, I received a lecture about safety.

He explained to me that crosswalks exist for a reason. He then said, “Maybe next time you will learn to use a crosswalk.” After thinking about what happened earlier I decided that my boyfriend was right – although I wasn’t going to inform him of this.

I started thinking to myself, “What if that car did hit me?”

The next day I decided to see how many people also disregarded traffic laws.

Based upon daily observation, I noticed that pedestrians have a total disregard for drivers. Usually, it is reported the other way around. After watching countless numbers of students walk from the Union to the Cathedral, I came to the conclusion that stepping in front of a moving car is as typical as the changing of a red light.

The total disrespect for the crosswalk and the speeding cars is actually as dangerous as Steve Irwin’s – The Crocodile Hunter – daily activities.

Have we taken the golden rule “yield to pedestrians” too far?

Yesterday, I watched two people run from Bigelow Boulevard to Forbes just to catch the bus. Then I saw a group of students, consumed with their conversation, crossing the street as a bus turned the corner. The bus gradually slowed down and waited for the students to pass. Out of the five people who held up traffic, not one of them gave any drivers a friendly wave to say thanks. I wondered if they ever stopped to think that they could be hit.

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, 7,000 pedestrians die and 100,000 are injured in traffic accidents each year.

While it’s easy to blame drivers, they are not always responsible for these collisions. All too often, the irresponsible decisions of some pedestrians cause such tragedies.

Senseless tragedies don’t always have to happen. We as pedestrians can avoid such misfortunes by following simple rules.

Before crossing the street, check for the walk symbol to flash. Always remember to look left and right before crossing. I don’t care how many one-way streets this city has. People are crazy.

Also, always check for turning vehicles. They too can have the right of way even if the crosswalk signal is flashing. Never forget to have the patience to simply walk between those white lines; your life depends on it.

You can cross paths with Natasha by e-mailing her at [email protected].