Pitt offers new international degree for global students

By JENNIFER MACASEK

Pitt is an international campus, with student organizations for many nationalities and classes… Pitt is an international campus, with student organizations for many nationalities and classes that cover world issues such as global health and economic development.

Now, through a new collaboration between the University Honors College and the University Center for International Studies, Pitt students will have the opportunity to earn an honors degree in International Studies.

“The University has been aware for some time now that there is a profound interest in international studies,” said Alec Stewart, dean of the Honors College.

“This degree impacts the University’s ability to attract capable students. One of the anomalies that we all noticed is that students would come to the University from the Governor’s School for International Studies, but they couldn’t get a degree in it,” he said.

The new Bachelor of Philosophy in International and Area Studies (B. Phil. IAS), is an extension of the current Global Studies Certificate program already offered by the UCIS.

“This offers students a full major in international studies,” said Lisa Alfredson, the associate director of global studies.

It consists of most of the same coursework as the certificate with added study abroad and research requirements, as well as courses that introduce students to research techniques. Students will focus on a specific area of the world and develop proficiency in that language.

Like other student-designed Bachelor of Philosophy degrees in the Honors College, students will develop, research and present a final thesis to a faculty examining board, including a visiting faculty member from outside Pitt.

“It’s a really great opportunity for students to work closely with faculty in a distinct honors experience,” Stewart said.

The degree is offered only as a second major for students interested in complementing their first major with serious academic work on global issues such as sustainable development, global economy and governance, changing identities in a global world, communication and technology, conflict and conflict resolution, and global health.

“The beauty in this is it’s a matter of packaging,” Stewart said.

Some current certificate students may be able to adjust their schedules to finish the degree within the next year. In the future, other area studies certificate programs may develop their own degrees along these lines.

Interested students may contact the UCIS or the UHC for more information.

“This would make Pitt students much more competitive if they want to take on international careers,” Alfredson said.