Two congressmen visit with students — Republican talks about terrorism finding

By ANGELA HAYES

SEE ALSO – Democrat meets with Panthers for Israel

In a class on terrorism in the 21st… SEE ALSO – Democrat meets with Panthers for Israel

In a class on terrorism in the 21st century, Congressman Michael Fitzpatrick shared with students personal stories from his last visit to Iraq.

Fitzpatrick’s guest lecture came after a slideshow on funding terrorism that students Jesse August, J.D. Atchison, Justin Bond, Michael Cross and Chris Bosley designed.

“It’s not just men and women with guns over seas,” Fitzpatrick said. “It’s the banks, businesses and schemes that are going on.”

The students’ slideshow began with the prices of all the items used to plan the Sept. 11, 2001, to the tune of Pink Floyd’s “Money.”

These items included the most expensive cars for transportation, $20,000, down to box cutters, $1.50. The student presentation ended with a view of a post-Sept. 11, 2001, New York skyline.

“Preventing another terrorist attack … priceless,” the last slide read.

Fitzpatrick asked the audience if they could remember where they were on Sept. 11, 2001, and how they felt after that day.

“We all took a look inside ourselves to see what was important in life,” he said.

Fitzpatrick, who was a county commissioner in Bucks County, Pa., said that he knew that his priorities were different. As a father, he wanted to make sure his children grew up in a country free of terrorism.

“My issues went from, ‘How to stop a flood in Bucks County,’ to ‘How to stop terrorism,'” he said.

While running for Congress, Fitzpatrick had the opportunity to visit Iraq. Before he left, parents who had children in Iraq asked him to bring everything from boots to a box of Tastykakes to their sons and daughters in Iraq.

One parent, Penny Santoro, simply wanted Fitzpatrick to deliver her son, Nick, a birthday message and a hug.

Traveling through Fallujah, Iraq, on Memorial Day, Fitzpatrick had that opportunity to deliver that greeting to Santoro for his 20th birthday.

“I said, ‘Happy Birthday. Come here and give me a hug. It’s from your mom,'” he said.

Fitzpatrick said that this moment allowed him to see firsthand why it’s important to stop terrorism financing. He told the audience that the 9/11 Commission works to “follow the money and find the terrorists.”

“[Terrorists] didn’t want to just destroy people, they wanted to destroy the whole country,” he said.

Fitzpatrick said that our country was attacked by terrorists who used a lot of our own resources and finances. He said that the first step to stop terrorism is to cut off the money and stop “their ability to reign terror.”

Fitzpatrick, the father of six kids, said that he hadn’t planned on running for Congress, but he’s happy that he’s there and feels he can “add something” to the country.

“I found myself running for an office I didn’t seek, looking at a set of issues I didn’t ask for,” he said.

“I want to do this for my lifetime,” he added.

After his lecture, the students who gave the presentation earlier responded to points he made.

Bond said that Fitzpatrick’s stories gave the audience a “behind-the-scenes” look at their topic.

Fitzpatrick came to the class after an invitation from Bosely, who previously worked as an intern for the congressman.

Michael Hummel, who teaches the class, and his students presented Fitzpatrick with a letter and plaque to thank him for “participating in the educational process.” Hummel said he was pleased with the student group’s performance and impressed with their ability to work together as a team.

“Genius, their ability and boldness to go the extra mile to get a U.S. congressman to fly across the country,” Hummel said. “[It is an example of] the congeniality attitude at Pitt.”