Panthers fall in title game

By KEITH WEHMEYER

The Pitt women’s basketball team left the Pitt Thanksgiving Classic still hungry Sunday after… The Pitt women’s basketball team left the Pitt Thanksgiving Classic still hungry Sunday after the Panthers lost to Missouri, 69-60, in the Classic’s championship game at the Petersen Events Center.

Someone should have passed the salt.

“Mentally and emotionally, they have to be able to step it up to the next level,” head coach Agnus Berenato said of her team. “That comes with being seasoned – we aren’t seasoned yet.”

Pitt’s starting lineup featured two freshmen and a sophomore. Two other freshmen played key roles, a stark contrast to the Missouri team that had all juniors and seniors in its starting lineup.

“I think that was really, really obvious today,” Berenato said.

Missouri began the three-team tournament with a 57-56 victory over Towson Friday, a day before the Panthers defeated Towson 69-50.

Berenato felt her team was affected mentally, but not physically, by playing games on back-to-back days, and couldn’t overcome the size and athleticism of the Tigers.

The Panthers held a 13-point lead with 9:36 remaining in the first half, but Missouri narrowed the margin to 37-32 by halftime behind center Christelle N’Garsanet, who scored eight of her team-high 18 points over the span.

The halftime break did nothing to slow the surging Tigers, who opened the second half with six straight points, forcing Berenato to call a timeout.

“That was probably the key to the game,” Berenato said. “They set the tone then and there.”

Following the timeout, Pitt regained the lead at 39-38 when center Marcedes Walker grabbed an offensive rebound and laid it back in. The lead, however, would be short-lived. Four seconds later, N’Garsanet scored on a fast-break layup at the other end. Pitt would never lead again.

“Compliments to Missouri, in the second half they really cranked it up defensively.” Berenato said. “They caused us to shoot 22 percent [in the second half] once their defense got going.”

Pitt’s offense took a hit when Walker picked up her fourth foul midway through the second half, forcing her to the bench.

Trailing by six with 6:10 remaining, Berenato put Walker back in, but the sophomore picked up her fifth personal with 3:44 remaining while attempting to grab an offensive rebound. Despite sitting out the game’s final minutes, Walker scored a game-high 20 points and grabbed seven rebounds. She, along with freshman Xenia Stewart, represented Pitt on the All-Classic team.

“They play good defense,” Walker said. “We got a little rattled and that’s something we have to work on for next game.”

Defensively, Missouri was led by Classic MVP LaToya Bond. The senior guard finished with four blocks and three steals to go along with 14 points and five assists. Bond, along with EeTisha Riddle and N’Garsanet, was named to the All-Classic team for Missouri.

Panther guard Mallorie Winn, MVP of the TD Banknorth classic one week ago, had her worst shooting performance of the young season. Winn, who had been making over 50 percent of her shots from the field, finished 6-for-21.

Despite her shooting woes, Winn hit a 3-pointer with 27 seconds to put Pitt within six.

“Not for one minute did I think we were going to lose this game today,” Berenato said. “I don’t think the team ever thought for one minute we would lose the game. With 23 seconds to go, I looked at Winn and said, ‘It’s OK, it’s just two threes.'”

There would be no more 3-pointers for Pitt, though, and the Tigers hit their free throws down the stretch, giving the Panthers their first loss of the season.

“As high as the highs are when you win, there’s nothing like the lows of a loss. You’re miserable,” Berenato said. “There’s winning and misery.”

“I am going to be miserable until we play Wednesday night, but I won [Saturday] and it’s not like I was happy happy, but that’s a good thing. We want to win.”

Earlier in the week, Pitt began the Thanksgiving break with a 91-46 victory over Akron Tuesday night. It was the Panthers’ largest margin of victory since 1996 when they defeated Coppin State, 81-35.

Pitt faces Duquesne 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Petersen Events Center.