Pitt student named Rhodes Scholar

By MARIA MASTERS

Justin Chalker likes to run, but he doesn’t think that helped him win a Rhodes Scholarship. … Justin Chalker likes to run, but he doesn’t think that helped him win a Rhodes Scholarship.

Chalker, a Pitt student, was chosen as a 2006 Rhodes Scholar this weekend, making him the fourth student in the history of Pitt to receive this award.

Rhodes Scholarships, international study awards available to Americans, award students for academic achievement, personal integrity, leadership potential and physical vigor.

These scholarships allow students to study for either two or three years at the University of Oxford in England.

Chalker, an Honors College senior majoring in Chemistry and History and Philosophy of Science, will leave for Oxford in October 2006, where he plans to spend the next three years doing graduate work and earning a D Phil, a Ph.D. equivalent.

“For organic chemistry, Oxford is one of the best places you can go,” said Chalker, who also explained that Oxford put a lot of money into the department and built new facilities.

Chalker, an undergraduate teaching assistant in the School of Arts and Sciences chemistry department, is particularly interested in synthetic methodologies, which are associated with inventing, discovering and engineering new reactions that can be useful medically and pharmaceutically.

“Organic chemistry is interesting because you are actually making something,” Chalker said. “It’s academically satisfying but it takes artistic skill.”

“There is a thrill in solving these problems,” he said.

According to a press release, Chalker is also doing research on new chemical reactions in the synthesis of Kainic acid, an organic compound used in Alzheimer’s disease research.

Chalker also founded Pitt Y-Sci Fest, a research fair for area high school students. Last spring, Chalker helped recruit different Pitt science clubs to work with approximately 200 high school students as they worked on science experiments at different stations.

“We believe the University has a responsibility to be socially oriented,” said Chalker, who said the group tried to focus mostly on helping underprivileged kids.

Chalker also thanked his mentors, the Honors College and others in helping him win the Rhodes Scholarship.

“This was a team effort,” Chalker said. “I owe them a big thanks for putting me in a situation where I can succeed.”