Because Fact and Fiction are mutually exclusive

By MATT SORTINO and DAVE THOMAS

1. With their record at 5-2, the Steelers are the AFC’s second-best team behind the Colts… 1. With their record at 5-2, the Steelers are the AFC’s second-best team behind the Colts and ahead of the Broncos, Bengals, Chargers and Patriots.

Mat Sortino: Fiction. I still consider the Steelers a 6-1 team instead of 5-2 because with Big Ben and Hines Ward in the lineup, the Steelers would have beaten the Jags in the infamous Tommy “Baddox” game. However, if the Steelers had beaten the Ravens Monday night in amore convincing fashion, they would have earned the fact, but as it is, the Steelers almost stumbled and the Broncos flexed their muscles against the Eagles to become the second-best team in the AFC.

Dave Thomas: Fact. While I agree that the Broncos’ win over the Eagles was huge for them, I still don’t think it surpasses some of the AFC elite. I think they are right up there with the Colts and Steelers, but just slightly behind them. If they keep playing this way, the sky is the limit. But the Steelers went 15-1 last year and have looked solid all year this season. Yes, if the Steelers blew out Baltimore it would have helped their case, but I think the way they won sent a message to the other teams mentioned in this topic. The Steelers threw 30 times, and their defense looked very porous in the second half – and they still won. Everyone knows the road to the Super Bowl will once again go through the ‘Burgh.

2. The Eagles have needed comeback wins over the Chiefs and Chargers. They have lost to the Cowboys, Falcons and Broncos and have an offense that is struggling beyond belief. However, they are still good enough to make the NFL playoffs.

MS: Fiction. The Eagles’ offense continues to remain in first gear while the defense managed to give up 49 points against the Broncos Sunday. The Birds are currently tied for last place in the very competitive NFC East with seven of their final nine opponents either at .500 or above in the standings. The Eagles are just 1-3 on the road and still have to travel to Washington, to New Jersey to face the Giants and to St. Louis to face the Rams. The Eagles are a 9-7 team that won’t finish in the top two in NFC East.

DT: Fiction. At the beginning of the year, who would have thought this would be fiction, and, more importantly, who would have guessed that a solid NFC East would be the reason? In recent years, the Eagles have rolled right through this division, but with the emergence of Eli Manning and the Giants, and the resurrection of the Cowboys and the Redskins, the Eagles no longer stand out. If the Eagles were in another division, they might squeak into the playoffs, but at this point it seems like they could be watching come January.

3. By adding Antoine Walker and Gary Payton to a lineup that features Dwayne Wade and Shaq, the Heat are favorite to win it all in the NBA in 2006.

MS: Fiction. The Spurs still have the best talent in the league with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and company but they have spent the off-season adding depth and will feature one of the best benches in the league. I say Spurs repeat over the Pistons.

DT: Fiction. The acquisitions the Heat made will create the same problem last time Gary Payton joined up with the big Aristotle to try and win a title. They’ll get close, but fall short. Just like the 2003 Lakers, there is only one ball and too many superstars. Antoine Walker is the league’s most overrated player, the biggest ball hog and quite possibly the team’s worst defender. Sortino’s right, the Spurs are just too solid. They should repeat, unless the Heat gets rid of Walker by the All Star break.

4. If you could be anyone in sports today, you would be Theo Epstein.

MS: Fact. This guy is young at 31 years old, he is on celebrity status in Boston, albeit maybe not anymore and had enough stature to reject $1.5 million PER SEASON from the Red Sox and resign. Now he says he might just hang out for a year or explore another job. Theo has the free time, he must have the money, and most certainly he has the chicks. Go ahead Dave, I dare you to beat that!

DT: Fiction. Yeah, Theo’s cool and all, but when it comes down to it, he watches the games just like me and you, Tino. There’s a reason the person I want to be in sports is called “King James.” Lebron has the life. He should be a junior in college (he’s ten days younger than myself) but instead the 6-foot-8 man-child is the NBA’s best all-around player. He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated his junior year of high school, and I’m lucky if I can get my headshot in color in The Pitt News. Oh, and chicks? He hangs out with celebrities like Beyonce. Give him some time and he’ll win some titles too. It must be good to be king.