Ransom accused of dorm storm

By JESSICA LEAR

Some students running for Student Government Board have accused the Proven slate, headed by… Some students running for Student Government Board have accused the Proven slate, headed by presidential candidate Zach Ransom, of breaking election rules.

Five slates and presidential candidate Joe Salvatore co-signed a list of charges against Proven that included, but were not limited to, “destruction, defacing, or removal of a campaign poster,” and violating the Residence Life rules that prohibit solicitation on campus without prior official approval.

The slates included Traditions, Break the Mold, Open Minds, Open Doors and Inspiring Pitt Pride.

Ransom dismissed the allegations as “frivolous claims and petty tactics,” and added, “These charges are politically motivated, and I’m disappointed.”

The candidates who filed the charges e-mailed a copy of the complaint to The Pitt News shortly after they submitted it to Elections Chair Greg Heller-LaBelle.

The slates cited the latest edition of the Residential handbook that states, “Students are not permitted to engage in solicitation of any type in or on University property unless approved in advance by the appropriate University official.”

According to Salvatore, the “most severe infraction” involves Ransom and some of his friends allegedly soliciting votes and passing out flyers in Sutherland Hall Monday night.

“We have numerous accounts from firsthand witnesses who have written statements and will be testifying,” Salvatore said.

The charges were filed shortly after 10 p.m. yesterday, and the elections committee held a hearing at 11:15 p.m., the results of which were too late for press.

Ransom expressed his frustration at receiving such short notice about having to attend the hearing.

“It’s not fair to give us 25 minutes when the people firing the charges had 24 hours,” he said.

According to the elections code, charges must be filed with the elections committee within 24 hours of the alleged violation.

The elections code states that possible sanctions against the accused candidates include removal from the ballot or complete disqualification. The committee may also refer the candidate to the Judicial Board for violations of the student code of conduct or withhold the candidate’s $100 deposit.

“Whatever the outcome, we felt that we should put this in writing so the elections committee will be aware of the violations,” Salvatore said.

Within 48 hours of the hearing, candidates – including those who filed the complaint and those accused – have the right to appeal the elections committee’s decision to the Student Government Judicial Committee.

Assistant News Editor Andy Medici contributed to this report.