EDITORIAL – Reality, torture bill incompatible

By STAFF EDITORIAL

Torture is a subject few like to think about. One of war’s many ugly sides, torture is often… Torture is a subject few like to think about. One of war’s many ugly sides, torture is often the price of information – a price some senators think is too high.

Led by Senator John McCain, R-Ariz., they’ve introduced a bill that would ban subjecting people held in custody by the U.S. government to “cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.”

The bill, in essence a restatement of sections of 1949’s anti-war Geneva Conventions, is certainly noble in intent. It seeks to ensure humane treatment of all people, enemy or not, and to repair the world’s image of the United States.

It’s quite a nice public relations move, but ultimately, it lacks substance.

In an ideal world, torturing prisoners would be absolutely unthinkable. War would be unnecessary and people and nations could resolve their conflicts civilly, with discussions and mediators. We don’t live in an ideal world, though, but one with suicide bombers, warmongers, ideologues and needless death.

In the real world, people get tortured. Sometimes, these people are innocent. Sometimes, they are concealing information that could save a lot of lives, and asking nicely doesn’t yield results.

Passing this bill, then, would mainly harm those branches of the military that generally try to conduct themselves in accordance with the law. It would keep them from doing some things which, although ugly, are arguably necessary to the safety of the country.

At the same time, the higher levels of government that are committing some of the most shocking acts will be able to hide their actions as always. Those people held at the reputed “black sites” – locations so secret that even the countries that house them remain unknown – will surely still be tortured.

As long as nations have enemies, nations will torture prisoners.

Not surprisingly, the president’s office has promised to veto the bill, on the grounds that it would impede efforts in Iraq. Vice President Cheney is seeking to add an exemption to the bill that would make it even more ineffective: allowing the CIA to use torture when deemed necessary.

There is no question that America could use an image boost on a worldwide scale, but signing a piece of paper is not going to do it. The government’s flouting of the Geneva Conventions themselves is proof that written pledges are easily broken.

If the country wants to be perceived as a fair arbiter of human rights, it doesn’t need more words; it needs action. A new law should not need to be passed outlawing torture; we as a country should simply abstain from torturing prisoners in all but the most dire circumstances, and abide by the treaties we have already signed.