Most pass on Getting Fit

By LEIGH REMIZOWSKI

A campus fitness coordinator in “Getting Fit at Pitt,” a program that provides students with a… A campus fitness coordinator in “Getting Fit at Pitt,” a program that provides students with a free fitness assessment and tailor-made exercise program, said that he’s surprised with how few students use it.

“People don’t take advantage of [the program],” Kory Stauffer said. “For a campus of this size, you would think our numbers would be greater than this.”

On average, Getting Fit at Pitt sees 1,700 participants per month.

The program is offered at various times on Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout the year at the Baierl Student Recreation Center.

Times and dates are posted on Pitt’s intramural and recreational sports Web site (www.education.pitt.edu/intramurals/getting-fit-program.html).

Stauffer said that Getting Fit at Pitt gives students an opportunity to use Pitt’s facilities to their advantage.

“Basically what you have is students that come in here and don’t know anything about proper lifting techniques or what they should and shouldn’t do,” he said.

Along with this program, Pitt students can take 1-credit courses through PEDC, Pitt’s physical education elective program.

Stauffer pointed out that students at Pitt also have ample opportunity to make their own workout schedules.

“I think the thing that distinguishes us from other schools is we have a big push to put workout centers in residence halls that can be open 24 hours a day,” he said.

But students who want to stay healthy can’t just rely on working out, said Meg Mayer-Costa, a registered dietitian with Student Health Services.

“Students need to be aware of the different parts of their lives that effect their weight and health,” she said. “These include things like activity level, stress level, amount of sleep and nutrition.”

Student Health Services offers students stress management workshops, alcohol awareness and tobacco cessation programs, sexual health education, weight management seminars and nutrition programming, said Shirley Haberman, the health education administrator for Student Health Services.

Haberman also recommended that students visit www.mystudentbody.com to find health information. Within the next year, a nutrition information module will be added to the Web site.

Students can make appointments with Mayer-Costa for anything from weight concerns to a desire for greater strength. She recommends a visit as the first step to a healthy lifestyle.

“If [a student] has concerns with how they’re eating or what they’re eating, a dietitian is the right person to talk to,” she said.

Before Mayer-Costa assesses a student, he or she must fill out a nutrition history form, which allows her to create a plan for that specific person.

“Everybody’s a little bit different,” she said. “We talk about portion size, and we try to just go throughout their day and personalize that information about how they live.”

Haberman added that eating healthy on campus can be a challenge.

Not only are unhealthy options like hamburgers and fries available at virtually every campus dining facility, but some students aren’t used to the fact that someone is not preparing meals for them anymore.

“It’s up to students to select the healthier options,” she said. “They have to be knowledgeable and select wisely when eating out.”

Jodi Ludovici, the senior food service manager at Pitt, said that healthy choices are readily available on campus.

“We try to provide a great range of offerings for the customers and allow access for all diets,” she said.

Ludovici explained that there are “Healthy Hints” at food stations, as well as substitutions – a salad can serve instead of fries with a meal block.

Sodexho, Pitt’s food service provider, has also developed a Web site to guide students in leading healthier lifestyles.

According to Ludovici, the Web site (www.balancemindbodysoul.com) provides information on nutrition and physical fitness as well.

“You can ask questions of our dietitian and look up the nutritional facts for the foods you are eating,” she said. “And you can select any of the meals you eat and it will give you the complete nutritional information.”

The Web site also indicates the category of certain “Grab ‘n Go” foods – vegan, vegetarian, carb-friendly or well-balanced.

According to Ludovici, these categories were established with help from organizations such as the American Dietetic Association.

Ludovici’s advice to students who want to eat healthier is to make a plan.

“Be diligent and plan your meals out,” she said. “There will always be an abundance of choices – the key is to make the right ones.”

And don’t hesitate to complain or make suggestions.

“The changes we make to the food service program come from feedback from our customers,” Ludovici said.