Students have new adviser

By ANGELA HAYES

Pitt welcomed a new adviser to the office of Student Life to help guide four campus… Pitt welcomed a new adviser to the office of Student Life to help guide four campus organizations.

Effective next Monday, Danielle Colbert-Lewis will act as the Student Life Adviser, after Sara Dadlani, who previously held the position, resigned. She will advise Pitt’s Black Action Society, Asian Student Alliance, Campus Women’s Organization and the Freedom Honor Society.

“She really knows student life well. That’s her niche,” said Chris Meaner, Pitt’s Fraternity and Sorority Advisor.

Colbert-Lewis brings over six years of direct student affairs experience to Pitt. She served as the assistant director of reunions and student activities and coordinator of summer residential programs at the University of Virginia, where she also received her bachelor’s degree in anthropology.

She earned her master’s degree in educational leadership and policy studies at Virginia Tech, where she was the Assistant Residence Director.

Colbert-Lewis works predominantly with undergraduate students and student organizations.

Meaner said that he thinks Colbert-Lewis will bring a lot of ideas to the four student organizations. Also, he believes she will help them to live up to their constitutions, what the organization stands for and challenge them.

Nitin Aggarwal, president of ASA, who was involved in the interview process, said he believes Colbert-Lewis can offer constitutional support because she has worked with them at other universities. He said that while many candidates for the position looked at the students they would be advising as “underneath them,” Colbert-Lewis did not.

“She sees students on the same level, and that’s what our organization needs,” he said.

“She’s a very professional person and she’s very professional when dealing with students.”

Lawrence Krockett, BAS president, said the organization is currently working on revising their constitution. He believes that Colbert-Lewis will be able to help the organization in that process and make certain that they adhere to it.

“She will make sure we play by our own rules,” he said.

Campus organization advisers play a lot of different roles, Krockett said. They help in planning events, offer business and personal advice to members of the organization and help them to address issues they deal with in weekly meetings.

“She should act as an effective liaison between the student body and administrators,” Krockett said.

Vice President Brennan Rhodes said that in the past, advisers have been active in understanding the organizations. She hopes the new student life adviser will get to know BAS and possess the ability to guide the group in the right direction.

Meaner believes Colbert-Lewis has what it takes to be a good student adviser – enthusiasm and intelligence. He looks forward to working with her.

“She’s someone I can see myself sitting in a meeting with and agreeing with the ideas she’s bringing to the table,” he said.

“I think she’s a good fit for these organizations and for this office.”