Pitt grad school gets $90,000 for urban internships

By KONRAD KLINKNER

For the second year in a row, Pitt’s Graduate School of Public and International Affairs… For the second year in a row, Pitt’s Graduate School of Public and International Affairs received a $90,000 grant from U.S. Housing and Urban Development earlier this month.

The grant will sponsor internships in local urban community planning for three graduate students pursuing a master’s degree in Public Administration.

Housing and Urban Development, an agency helping to increase access to affordable housing and decrease discrimination, supports community development.

“The purpose of the HUD Community Development Work Study Program grant is in harmony with GSPIA’s urban mission and our partnership with the local community,” said David Miller, associate dean of the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs.

Jacqueline Saslawski, GSPIA’s manager of executive and international education, explained that Pitt and HUD have had an ongoing relationship.

“We’ve had this program for a long time. Pitt has a very good record with this grant. We received the grant last year, too,” she said.

Saslawski added that the number of schools that compete for the grant varies from year to year, usually hovering around 40.

The HUD grant offers up to $30,000 per student involved. It also provides for full tuition and fees, which includes money for books, supplies and conference travel over four terms, as well as sponsoring the three grad student internships.

“We’ve had quite a few students apply already, but we’re expecting much more towards the deadline,” Saslawski said.

Eligible students who want to be considered for the program must send in applications to GSPIA by Nov. 1 for studies beginning in January of next year.

The field of work planned for the grant-sponsored internships spans across Pittsburgh’s urban neighborhoods.

“The plans are very broad, they all have to do with urban planning,” Saslawski explained.

“Some of the programs involved will be South Side Development, the Oakland Planning Commission and the Department of City Planning. Our underlying mission is to broaden the community and to make the local community more beautiful.”

Staff Writer Jared Trent Stonesifer contributed to this report.