New doc to head up pharmacology

By MARIA MASTERS

Dr. Bruce Freeman likes to cook, bicycle, listen to music and research the mechanisms of cell… Dr. Bruce Freeman likes to cook, bicycle, listen to music and research the mechanisms of cell signaling and inflammation in tissue injuries.

After nearly 20 years at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where he served as vice chair for research in the department of anesthesiology, Freeman will now serve as the chair of Pitt’s department of pharmacology in the School of Medicine, beginning Jan. 1.

Freeman said that he chose to come to Pitt not only because of its unlimited opportunities in investigations and research, but because of its competent faculty and administrators.

“They expressed a wonderful vision and level of enthusiasm that made me want to become a part [of Pitt],” Freeman said.

As the new chairman, Freeman will be responsible for maintaining the department’s current strength and developing new teaching and research programs between the School of Medicine and the pharmacology program.

Freeman also plans on teaching basic and new information to his students and colleagues. One of his first goals will be to identify the department’s areas of strength and set goals for enhancing student education, basic research and clinical care.

“A good department will have a variety of people that have strengths in one or more of these areas,” Freeman said.

In the past, Freeman has done extensive work on the mechanisms of cell signaling and tissue inflammation after injury, which he said is also a big part of basic research at UPMC.

Much of Freeman’s research has focused on molecules called free radicals and their role in inflammation.

Inflammation is the body’s response to a variety of injuries, including viruses, air pollution and even excessive consumption of sugars and fats.

During inflammation, free radicals can damage the DNA that comprises genetic information, energy metabolism and structure components of cells. This can eventually lead to the degeneration of brain cells, poor cardiovascular function and the ability to see.

Freeman will continue this research at Pitt along with a laboratory of students and fellows.

“I couldn’t think of anything I’d rather do more,” Freeman said. “In many ways, I still feel like a kid playing with my first chemistry set.”

Originally from California, where he earned his undergraduate and graduate degrees at the University of California, Riverside, Freeman served on Duke University’s faculty as a postdoctoral fellow before moving to the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 1985. He is currently in the process of moving to Pittsburgh.

“It’s going to be a change in terms of the weather,” Freeman said. “But I’ve been impressed with how warm and charming the people are in Pittsburgh.”