Pitt alum gives film tips

By ROSS RADER

Pitt alumnus Joe Bly paid a visit to his alma mater last Friday, speaking to individuals… Pitt alumnus Joe Bly paid a visit to his alma mater last Friday, speaking to individuals interested in film or film production. Currently shooting an independent documentary short on the marketing of religion, Bly passed through Pittsburgh as he made his way toward more conservative stops such as Virginia and Tennessee. Graduating in 2000 from Pitt majoring in film and history, Bly has succeeded in establishing his own production company, Powder Keg Republic, located in New York City.

Pitt in Hollywood’s first speaker shared humorous anecdotes and offered practical advice for accomplishing goals, not only in film, but in other careers. Bly animatedly described his involvement in numerous film shoots; his participation in a diapers commercial illustrated the intensive steps that are taken to create a seemingly simple commercial. In this memorable shoot, Bly discussed how a director, baby director, diaper stylist (essential to make sure the trim and wrinkles on the diapers were perfect), a butterfly, pigeon and dog wrangler were needed to complete the shoot and create the perfect atmosphere.

After talking with students, Bly discussed his experiences with The Pitt News.

The Pitt News: What have you taken from the University of Pittsburgh that has helped you in your career?

Joe Bly: There’s definitely an energetic artistic community here. That’s inspiring.

TPN: What was your most memorable project?

JB: The one I’m working on right now, because it’s all me. It’s an incredible learning experience.

TPN: Is there something that you wish you could have done differently?

JB: I wish I would have specialized more. I should have taken advantage of the opportunities I had in school. I should have taken the step to go out on my own. It’s hard not to be afraid.

TPN: How did you come up with the name Powder Keg Republic?

JB: I’m a history guy. I wanted something that had historical imagination. Stylistically, it has a socialist realist look. I like to imagine it as a rogue state.

TPN: At what film festival would you like your film to be shown?

JB: I don’t know. You would want to go to the big ones. There’s so many others though. I’m not real familiar with film festivals. Any festival would be good to be in.

TPN: How long does it take to create a film?

JB: Six months, depending on the project. A lot of people don’t take into account all the preparation that needs to be done. Sometimes, it could be years before a film gets finished.

TPN: I’m sure there have been moments when you’ve asked yourself why you were doing what you are doing. What inspired you to keep going?

JB: You feel like this is supposed to be what you’re doing. Even if I decide to change what I’m doing, at least I know I tried and decided myself when I was finished.

TPN: What gave you the idea for the project you’re working on now?

JB: I knew I wanted to do something independent. I wanted to bring my wife into the project, so it had to be something we were both interested in. There are two things we are attuned to as a society – religion and marketing. I wanted to make a couple of connections between them, and it’s a new way of looking at them.

Bly provided useful advice, emphasizing that film students should try to find an angle – another interest besides film. He also suggested getting an internship in college and exposing oneself to all the possibilities that college has to offer. Bly, who has lived in Russia for a year, worked at a local PBS station in Shenandoah Valley, Va., and has faced the struggles that artists often meet, proved to be a notable and interesting Pittsburgh guest.