Some mascots are in a class of their own, literally

By JOE BALESTRINO

Philadelphia is notorious for its rowdy and obnoxious sports fans, something city officials… Philadelphia is notorious for its rowdy and obnoxious sports fans, something city officials acknowledged when they constructed a holding cell in “The Vet” (the former home of the Phillies and Eagles) for fans arrested during games.

What is also unique about Philly fans is that they have developed a reputation for not only harassing and booing visitors, but also their own teams and individual players who fail to live up to expectations. This is especially true about “Iggles” fans, who, although both loyal and passionate, have booed everyone from Ashanti and Ja Rule to Santa Claus off the field.

That being said, only a select few have managed not only to escape the wrath of Philly fans, but actually thrive in the hostile environment. This individual, or creature, has become, as USA Today describes, a part of the Philadelphian culture.

“From the top of his neon-green head to the tip of his bubble-toed, size-20 shoes, the Phillie Phanatic is every inch the best mascot in the business. He’s as much Philadelphia as cheesesteaks, the Liberty Bell and Rocky Balboa.”

The Phanatic has been so influential, in fact, that on Aug. 16, he was inducted into the Mascot Hall of Fame. The criteria the Phanatic had to meet included having been in existence for at least 10 years, having had a major impact on his sport, industry and community and having performed consistently groundbreaking routines.

The Phanatic was joined by the Chicken of the San Diego Padres and the Phoenix Suns’ Gorilla as members of the inaugural class of the Mascot Hall of Fame. The three were chosen from an impressive list of 14 finalists that included Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald.

“When I helped create the Phanatic in 1978, I had no idea it would develop like this,” said the man who introduced him, Phillies’ chairman Bill Giles on MLB.com.

To those unfamiliar with him, the Phanatic is a feathery, green creature from the Galapagos Islands who was named after Philly’s “fanatical” fans. He is a slightly obese individual who has a trumpet for a nose and oversized eyes. The Phanatic can often be seen zooming across the field on his ATV, laying in the dugout, shooting hot dogs into the stands with his Hot Dog Launcher, dishing out his signature “smooch,” dancing with fans and players, and causing mischief with opposing players and coaches.

Although he is considered one of baseball’s best mascots, the Phanatic is also the “bad boy” among his colleagues. He holds the record as the most sued mascot in baseball history. Some of his incidents have occurred off the field, such as at the 1994 opening ceremony for a Philadelphia paint store. In this case, the victim, Charles Donoghue, was awarded $2.5 million for back injuries suffered when the Phanatic hugged him too forcefully. Another minor incident involved an elderly man being knocked over by the Phanatic at a church carnival. He was given $128,000 for his injuries.

Then there are his well-documented on-field incidents, the most famous of which were his repeated scuffles with then-Dodgers’ manager Tommy Lasorda. The Phanatic’s continuing abuse of Lasorda effigies and mockery of his Slim Fast promotions resulted in the August 1998 episode where Lasorda actually attacked the Phanatic as a result of his using a “Lasorda Doll” as a punching bag.

Despite these incidents, the Phanatic is also one of Major League Baseball’s chief humanitarians. He has supported numerous local and national charities over the years and has brought millions of smiles to the faces of needy children and adults.

The Phanatic was a creation of the Phillies’ promotions department. Dennis Lehman, now an executive vice president of the Cleveland Indians but then a Phillies’ executive, was inspired by the fan-favorite “Chicken” on a road trip to San Diego. Lehman told Bill Giles – then the club’s executive vice president – that the Phillies should look into something similar and Giles permitted him to do so.

The Phillies initially contacted the creator of the Muppets, Jim Henson, to design their mascot. Though he wasn’t interested, Henson directed the Phillies to a Brooklyn design studio, who in turn presented the Phillies with several sketches. The chosen design and the resulting costume cost about $10,000.

The position of playing the Phanatic fell to an intern in the promotions department, Dave Raymond. Raymond was an energetic 21-year-old, a former football punter and an excellent dancer.

“I didn’t know what to expect, and neither did anyone else,” Raymond said in the Philadelphia Inquirer. “They just told me to do what I wanted to do and have fun.”

Raymond soon developed a relationship with both the home and visiting players. His player impersonations, mischief and skits revolutionized the mascot business.

In 1993, after 16 years as the Phanatic, Raymond decided to move on and start his own mascot company. Fortunately, the Phanatic’s understudy, Tom Burgoyne, was more than ready to assume the role. Burgoyne had formerly been the “Hawk” at St. Joseph’s Prep in Philadelphia.

Since 1977, the Phanatic has entertained millions of fans worldwide while traveling to Japan, Australia, Mexico, Canada, Venezuela and Puerto Rico. He has also made numerous television appearances, some of which include “Good Morning America,” “The Regis and Kathy Lee Show” and “The Rosie O’Donnell Show.” The Phanatic has become a fixture on ESPN’s SportsCenter as well.

On a more local level, the Phanatic’s presence has become an integral part of the Phillies baseball experience, the city of Philadelphia and the community of Major League Baseball. As baseball analyst Tim McCarver said on Phillies.com, the Phanatic “truly is baseball’s best mascot.”