Pitt sets up dual machines and prepares for dance revolution

By DAVEEN RAE KURUTZ

You’ve seen it near Schenley Cafe. You’ve listened to its loud, techno-styled music while… You’ve seen it near Schenley Cafe. You’ve listened to its loud, techno-styled music while trying to enjoy lunch. You’ve heard the thump, thump, thump of its barefooted players on your way to class.

And now, Dance Dance Revolution Extreme has a twin.

Pitt contracted In The Groove 2 — a dance machine similar to the popular game Dance Dance Revolution Extreme — for the William Pitt Union last week.

Response to In The Groove 2 has been high, according to Dave Hart, the operations manager of H. Lazar and Son — the company that contracted the machine to Pitt.

“We’re doing a comparison between the two machines and putting them head to head,” Hart said. “[In The Groove 2] is winning four to one in earning.”

Hart said that after an undetermined amount of time, H. Lazar and Son will decide whether both machines are making enough money to keep them on Pitt’s campus.

If they decide to keep both, DDR Extreme will move into its old spot in the recreation room next to the pool tables.

He added that the decision is going to be based largely on student feedback and profits.

Hart asked that students send him feedback concerning the games at [email protected].

Since its installation almost two years ago, DDR Extreme has developed a strong following in the Union. But In The Groove 2 is making headway toward passing its predecessor in popularity.

“It’s amazing,” junior Rocky Radebaugh said. “It’s something new and it adds a new element to this type of game.”

Radebaugh — who has been playing dance games for nearly nine years — said there are some major differences between the two machines.

From longer songs to more advanced moves, In The Groove 2 offers players an alternative to the familiar, according to Radebaugh.

“It’s like comparing apples to oranges,” he said. “You really can’t say one is better than the other.”

His friend, Andy Hayward, who has been playing for three and a half years, agrees with him, but still has affection for DDR Extreme.

“If [Pitt] got rid of it, I’d definitely miss a lot of my old favorites,” he said as he began a battle round on In The Groove 2.

Like an old master tutoring a young apprentice, the pair started a demonstration match. Radebaugh selected the songs and levels that would be the most challenging for them.

While some players find it difficult to perfect the game wearing shoes, Radebaugh managed a near-flawless game, tennis shoes and all.

Hayward — who chose to go barefoot — kept up, dipping down for elbow and knee plants when the song required four buttons to be pressed at the same time.

“In the Groove is generally harder and longer,” Radebaugh, said. “There’s rolls, where you have to tap your feet the whole time — plus the mines.”

The mines that he referred to are another new feature of In The Groove 2.

Avid player Jennifer Donehoo explained that they are the opposite of the normal arrows, which tells you where to hit.

“When you get a mine, you have to not step on that spot or else your player dies,” she said. “But basically, it’s the same as DDR.”

While Radebaugh and Hayward are enjoying both machines, Donehoo said she favors DDR Extreme.

“This is new and it’s fun, but personally, I like DDR better,” she said. “But it seems like there’s more people playing In The Groove 2.”

She pointed out that there are other advantages to In The Groove 2, particularly the fact that it features real artists performing real synthesized pop songs.

DDR Extreme, however, has mostly songs made specifically for the game.

Another big difference between the two games is price.

DDR Extreme is $1 per play — whether one or two players are competing — with four or five songs per play.

In The Groove 2 is also $1, but players only get three songs, and if a second player wants to participate they must pay an additional $1.

“DDR Extreme just seems like a better value,” Donehoo said.

While Radebaugh and Hayward play often, they don’t mind the extra cost.

“In The Groove songs are longer than anything you can find on DDR, so it’s not that big of a deal,” Radebaugh said. “Either way, I just hope they keep both of them.”