Weighing in on Week One, winners, and must-wins

By MATT SORTINO and DAVE THOMAS

1. Ben Roethlisberger’s perfect passer rating was the most surprising thing in Week One of… 1. Ben Roethlisberger’s perfect passer rating was the most surprising thing in Week One of the NFL season.

Matt: Fiction. While Big Ben certainly was surprising, what the Dolphins did to the Broncos was shocking. A team that is led by Gus Frerotte, and didn’t yet have Ricky Williams, beating down a team that was supposed to be a legit contender was definitely part of a wild and wacky Week One.

Dave: Fiction. As happy as I was to see Ben play so well after such a lousy preseason, the biggest surprise made for the best story this past week – the victorious New Orleans Saints. What that group did among all the distractions and everything that went on was really impressive. I was surprised they were able to pull it out in overtime and give the people of that city and region some hope. I’m a Saints fan all year.

2. After taking two of three from the division-leading Red Sox, the Yankees will end up making the playoffs.

Matt: Fact. The Yankees always make the playoffs. Every year, without fail, they make it. And if they don’t make it in the standings, George Stubborner pays one of the teams to stay home and let the Yankees go.

Dave: Fact. I know I haven’t been too good at predictions involving these two teams but I think the Bronx Bombers are in. I don’t know if they’ll be able to take the division title from the defending champions, but I look for them to take the wild card. And remember, the last three World Series champions have been wild card teams.

3. After winning the U.S. Open this weekend and becoming the first tennis player since 1938 to defend Wimbledon and Open titles, Roger Federer can be considered the greatest player of all time.

Matt: Fact. I can say I don’t really know my tennis, but I did see some stats on Federer the other day, and he has done some amazing things at age 24. I think saying he is the best of all time is like saying A-Rod is the best baseball player of all time – something that could be a tad premature, but will most likely be true over time

Dave: Fact. I know it might seem premature, but I’ll say it right now. He’s the best. Pete Sampras holds the record for most Grand Slam titles with 14. Federer now has six and is only 24. At his current pace, he’ll be 28 when he breaks that record. Also, Andre Agassi, who Federer beat to win the Open, was Sampras’s main rival throughout his career. After Sunday’s match he called Roger “the best he’s ever seen.”

4. After starting 0-2, this Saturday’s game at Nebraska is a must-win for Pitt.

Matt: Fiction. Why is it a must-win? It doesn’t help the Panthers in any way. After losing their first two games, the only games that matter for Pitt are conference games, because technically they can still win the Big East. Beating Nebraska would quiet the critics, but by losing their first two games, the Panthers have left themselves nothing to do but win the conference.

Dave: Fact. The Panthers started this season ranked 20th. With all the hype surrounding them with Wannstedt and the BCS bowl last year, they need to win. I know it’s non-conference and it doesn’t mean anything. But come on – it’s not like it’s Nebraska of 1995. The Panthers must play like it’s a bowl game this week, and if they want to have a successful conference season, they must get a “W.”