Fact or fiction — Panthers, Pirates, and Steelers, oh my

By MATT SORTINO and DAVE THOMAS

1. The Pirates did what’s best for their organization by firing five-year manager Lloyd… 1. The Pirates did what’s best for their organization by firing five-year manager Lloyd McClendon on Tuesday.

Matt: Fact. I hate to see the blame for the Pirates’ losses placed on the shoulders of one man, but that’s the way it goes in sports and when you only average 60 wins a year for five straightlosing seasons, something has to change. There will be a lot of speculation about who the Pirates will bring in to manage, but if a new collective bargaining agreement isn’t put intoplace soon, it won’t matter much for the Buccos and their plethora of young talent.

Dave: Fact. To be honest, I thought this would have been done by the All-Star break, but the Pirates’ hot start helped Lloyd hang on until September. It’s a shame he has to take the heat for the Pirates’ struggles. But sadly, you really can’t fire the players or the owner. It was inevitable that Mac would be gone; I just would’ve liked to see him pick up one more base before his tenure ended.

2. You were surprised last Saturday by Pitt’s inability to stop the Irish’s offensive attack.

Matt: Fact. Bringing in Dave Wannstedt was supposed to help this Panther defense but Saturday night seemed to be the same story told over and over again. The Panther defense struggled to stop the run and the pass and was kept off balance all night long. Most importantly, I think the game showed the offensive genius of Charlie Weis.

Dave: Fiction. There’s a reason the defensive line depth chart was uncertain up until kickoff. The Panthers are very inexperienced there but they will improve. It’s a tough draw that their opener had to come against a team that is known for its solid linemen on both sides of the ball. I wish Wannstedt’s troops looked better last Saturday, but I can’t say I’m surprised how one of the best offensive minds (college or pro) picked apart Pitt’s D.

3. Tonight’s NFL season opener between the Oakland Raiders and defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots is the most intriguing matchup in week one.

Matt: Fiction. Although the Pats-Raiders game tonight should be very interesting, it shouldn’t open too many doors as far as the rest of the season goes. Expect the Pats to win and Randy Moss to play well, but if neither of those things happens, no panic buttons will be pressed. I like the Monday Night Football game between Atlanta and Philly as the most intriguing. Can someone actually beat the Eagles in the NFC? How will T.O. and McNabb get along on the field?

Dave: Fact. That’s why this game is being showcased as part of the NFL kickoff celebration. Everyone wants to see how New England will do without their offensive and defensive coordinators who were so crucial in their recent success. And who doesn’t want to see how Randy Moss, the league’s best receiver, will do in Oakland? With the changes that were made to the New England Super Bowl defense, it will be interesting to see how the Raiders use Moss and the rest of a solid receiving corps to expose a weak New England secondary.

4. The Steelers waited too long to extend Hines Ward’s contract.

Matt: Fact. The Steelers tried to play hardball with Ward and it worked for them. Ward came back to camp in order to get his deal done, the exact terms the Steelers demanded of him. However, by not getting Ward into camp sooner, the Steelers’ offense has struggled without his leadership and ability to take over a game from the wide receiver position. Of course, the most important thing is that Ward will be suited up in week one and for many weeks to come.

Dave: Fact. This deal should have been done no later than a month after the Steelers lost in the AFC title game. The Rooneys told Hines that he would be their first priority in the off-season and the two parties never talked all summer. Hines means too much to that team, on the field and in the locker room, for him not to be in black and gold. In the end it all worked out, but I think the Steelers’ ownership didn’t send a very good message to the entire team. They needed to take care of Ward sooner.