Campus Women’s Organization hosts sex toy party for students

By ANGELA HAYES

Three freshmen women giggled as Karen Derzic introduced the “Private Private,” a $15 army… Three freshmen women giggled as Karen Derzic introduced the “Private Private,” a $15 army man figurine who, with a tip of his hat, revealed a vibrator, at a Campus Women’s Organization event Wednesday.

They talked excitedly about purchasing the item along with a pair of red, fuzzy handcuffs, of course, only if they could be certain that their parents would not check their e-mail orders.

Derzic — of Girl’s Night In, a group that advocates safe sex, while selling sex toys — joined CWO for its first meeting of the year, which included a sex toy party and a discussion of different options for safe sex.

While some people show enthusiasm about having sex toy parties on campus, others have different views on how to talk about and deal with sexuality.

Julie Edmiston, a senior and member of Cross Seekers, a Christian worship organization on campus, believes that having an event such as a sex toy party is “making light” of sex.

“Not having sex until marriage is supposed to be a beautiful thing,” Edmiston said.

Margot Canfield, also a member of Cross Seekers, agreed and said that sex is not wrong altogether, but it’s wrong before marriage

Campus Crusade for Christ member Peace Ike said Tuesday that she thinks sex is something that isn’t respected anymore.

“It’s all about decency,” she said repeatedly. “People think that Christians are uptight about sex, but we’re not.”

Ike said that her organization held a less “in your face” discussion about sex last week.

CWO President Melissa Patti grew up in a Christian household. She said that she recognizes the option of abstinence and believes that it’s good to want to wait for marriage, but also sees a need to educate those who choose not to wait.

“Whether you are having sex or not, it’s good to be educated and open about it,” she said.

On Wednesday, students passed around a selection of vibrators and squeezed sample bottles of personal lubricant as Derzic handed them out.

She encouraged them to get a closer look at the items and announced that they were for sale, and yes, the students could pay by credit card.

Derzic, who earned her degree in human sexuality and women studies at Pitt, started Girls Night In after she realized that most sex education programs focused on “what not to do.”

After her presentation, students lined up to make their purchases, chatting in line as Madonna’s “Like a Virgin,” blared through the Kurtzman Room of the William Pitt Union.

The night’s top seller: The Blue Thumper, a four-speed vibrator that sold for $36 and ships in seven to 10 business days.

Patti said that the timing of the event — two weeks into the school year — was planned to target freshmen students.

“When you go to college, sexuality is everywhere,” she said.

Pitt freshman Colleen Caldwell attended the CWO event after hearing about it at the Activities Fair. She said that she believes sexuality is a personal choice.

“An event like a sex toy party is good because it shows people other peoples’ views of sexuality,” she said.

Pitt student Ryan Longeway sat among the predominantly female crowd.

“I think it’s important in a relationship, specifically marriage, for guys to know how to please a woman,” he said, explaining his presence.

Audrej Savol — who lead worship songs and played guitar at Tuesday night’s Cross Seekers meeting – holds the belief that sex ought to be reserved for married people.

He didn’t attend the CWO meeting and said that he thought that the sex toy party wasn’t targeting the right audience.

“There are so many things we can list that are better when we wait,” he said.

After the party, while packing up her suitcase of goodies and tucking away the receipts of her transactions, Derzic said that sex education early on in college is important because abstinence education only goes so far in high schools.

“We are all sexual human beings,” she said. “Sex isn’t something you can turn on or off, it’s a biological function of your body and how you deal with that is based a lot on your morals and your upbringing and what you decide to do with your own body.”