A happy-accident vacation

By JOHN NIGRO

Of all the alluring coastal sites for college students to visit in America – such as Myrtle… Of all the alluring coastal sites for college students to visit in America – such as Myrtle Beach, S.C., Daytona, Fl., Ocean City, N.J. – I found myself in one of the most obscure: Newport, R.I. Historians probably recognize this old New England seaside town as a posh resort for wealthy 19th century capitalists, but the majority of travelers have never heard of this hidden gem sitting along the Atlantic Ocean. This is unfortunate for the common traveler, given Newport’s picturesque landscapes and exquisite architecture, which exude New England charm.

I must admit that I happened upon Newport by accident. After a chaotic finals week last spring, I decided it was best to get away for a week before my summer job began. After remaining indecisive on a destination for several days, a friend attending Brown University coaxed me to make the trip to Providence, R.I., and spend a few days there. The hotel prices in Providence were exorbitant; the cheapest hotel in the vicinity of Providence was in the southern town of Newport. Upon arriving in Newport, I was stunned at the allure of this little-known town.

Newport has embraced its legacy as a luxurious resort town for the ultra-rich “Gilded Age” capitalists who once inhabited its many mansions. While the overly wealthy have moved elsewhere over the years, their houses have remained intact and well maintained. Rows of mansions line the prominent rocky coastline, easily accessible via a walking path that borders the opulent manors along the bay. The offshore residences are smaller, but have kept their original architecture and styles, recreating a sense of life that filled the town during its peak in the 19th century. Rustic houses, whitewashed churches and unique seafood restaurants fill the streets, leaving anyone with even a fleeting interest in historic America in wonder.

Perhaps the best part of Newport is that which it does not have. That is, the lack of ubiquitous chain stores and commercialized development was most impressive. Forget Wal-Mart – distinctive, independently owned businesses were the norm, all of which embraced the town’s historic ambience. While the locally owned seafood restaurants are certainly pricey, the food is well worth the money. The White Horse Tavern restaurant has both delicious food and amazing decor, reminiscent of any quaint New England pub.

I found out quickly, however, that locals are perhaps happiest without tourists sauntering about their streets. The residents love their town for its restored appeal, and they certainly wish to prevent tourism from exploiting their coastal haven. Perhaps this is why Newport is rarely advertised in mass media and why so few know of its splendor. However, the locals are generally friendly to tourists, as long as they are not clogging the streets or tarnishing the town’s peaceful mood.

I made it to Providence eventually, but spent most of my time in Newport. There was something genuinely refreshing about this charismatic town along the Atlantic Ocean that made this ad hoc visit a surprising reward.