Pitt enlists heavy security forces to protect students

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

Alarmed South Oakland residents met May 26 to discuss a recent string of shootings with city… Alarmed South Oakland residents met May 26 to discuss a recent string of shootings with city officials. Pittsburgh may never be crime free, but what has Pitt done to educate and protect students from potential danger?

The University spends approximately $6 million annually on security, and more than 400 emergency phones and blue lights are scattered across campus.

Freshman Peer Counselors interact with incoming freshmen during PittStart sessions and conduct “breakout sessions,” which offer a chance for future Pitt students to escape their parents and ask anything they want about the city and campus.

“People that come here generally think it’s safe,” peer counselor Aaron Kessler said. “We have blue lights and call boxes, but you still have to be smart and use common sense.”

Michelle Bopp, another student involved with PittStart and the Freshman Peer Counselors, commented on safety in Oakland.

“I don’t believe we have a very large crime problem,” Bopp said. “I do think we could do more to promote safety, though.”

Pitt publishes an annual campus crime report, which is available to all students at http://www.pitt.edu/~safety/campuscrimeReport/index.html.

The Pitt Police department consists of 74 officers, who have the same authority as city police officers, carry firearms and patrol using their own squad cars, motorcycles and bicycles.

The Pitt Police always have four patrols on duty at a time in order to preserve campus safety. They can be reached by dialing 811 on campus phones. The non-emergency phone number is (412) 624-2121.

“During orientation for new students, we give them valuable tips,” Officer Ron Bennett said. “Don’t walk alone. Don’t take shortcuts in areas you aren’t familiar with. Stay away from isolated areas.

“There are things students can do to protect themselves,” he added. “And there are things in place to help students help themselves.”

The Pitt Police provides a program called the Rape Aggression Defense System (RAD), which teaches women how to avoid and escape potentially dangerous situations. They hold two sessions during the summer; the first one is in July.

Anyone interested in the RAD program can contact the Pitt Police at (412) 624-4040.

Pitt also offers a program called SafeRider, a shuttle bus system that runs during the late evening and early morning after the regular shuttle system has stopped.

SafeRider operates during the fall and spring until 5 a.m., Thursday through Saturday. During the summer term it stops running at 3 a.m. To contact SafeRider, call (412) 648-CALL, or (412) 648-2255. Students are allowed one ride per night and 20 rides per semester.

Students may also contact the Center for Victims of Violence and Crime at (412) 350-1975. The center offers victim advocacy services, counseling and community education programs that address the cause and impact of violence while encouraging victims in recovery and healing. They can also be reached via their Web site, http://www.cvvc.org