Former Panther indicted on murder case

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

A former Pitt football player facing murder charges in Ohio turned himself in two days after a… A former Pitt football player facing murder charges in Ohio turned himself in two days after a shooting on July 29.

Steven J. Walker, a former defensive back at Pitt, allegedly shot and killed Michael Cheek, 17, after an argument at a gas station in Canton, Ohio.

Walker, 19, was indicted – which means he was formally charged – Tuesday in a court in Stark County, Ohio. His arraignment is scheduled for Friday, and he should receive a court date then.

He has not yet issued a plea.

Walker received a scholarship to play at Pitt in the fall of 2004 after three standout years as a high school quarterback. But after four months on the roster and no playing time, Walker was dismissed in December 2004.

Assistant Athletics Director E.J. Borghetti refused to comment on why Walker was removed from the team.

“Steve Walker was dismissed in December of 2004 and hasn’t been a student here since then,” Borghetti said. “I have no further comment on his dismissal.”

Police reported that Walker allegedly shot Cheek after an altercation inside the store. Cheek was running to his car when a bullet hit him in the back.

When police arrived, Cheek was unconscious. Shortly after being taken to a local hospital, Cheek was pronounced dead.

He died of massive blood loss.

Although Walker has no previous convictions, this murder case isn’t his first brush with the law.

On Jan. 13, police arrested Walker in the William Pitt Union on a warrant.

Pitt spokesman John Fedele said that the warrant was in relation to seven counts of burglary and one count of unauthorized use of a credit card in late November.

Lt. Ron Machesky, of the Pitt police, said the charges against Walker are still pending a trial.

According to Canton police, Walker and Cheek had known one another since childhood, and their families were always friends.

“They had been friends since they were kids,” Sgt. Jack Angelo of the Canton Police Department said. “Walker had a clean record before the incident, and so did the victim.”

Walker started as quarterback for three years at Buchtel High School in Akron, Ohio, while also earning letters in basketball.

He was a three-time Akron City Series Offensive Player of the Year and a two-time Associated Press All-Ohio selection in football.

News Editor Adam Fleming contributed to this report.