Pitt settles season ticket disputes

By LAURA JERPI

A judge approved an agreement between the University and a group of men’s basketball… A judge approved an agreement between the University and a group of men’s basketball season-ticket holders who filed a class-action lawsuit against Pitt, alleging a breach of contract, in June.

The complaint — filed by attorneys John Stember and Stephen Pincus — said that the 2002-2003 basketball season-ticket brochure promised that patrons would be able to remain in the seats they originally chose, as long as they maintained or increased their level of financial donations to the University, for as long as they desired.

But — according to the ticket holders — the 2005-2006 brochure said that seats in the Petersen Events Center would be reassigned based on ticket holders’ Panther Club status, his or her annual donation level and priority point ranking as of June 30, 2005.

The complaint concluded that Pitt’s new policy left season-ticket holders unsure if they would receive the same seats that they originally chose.

The University denies that it breached any contract.

“Although we firmly believe Pitt Athletics already is living up to its past commitments, there was some misunderstanding about those commitments,” Athletics Director Jeff Long said in a statement. “We are taking an approach that recognizes prior and ongoing support and advances our efforts to raise the much-needed funds to compete at the NCAA’s highest level.”

According to the judge’s ruling, season-ticket holders are able to keep their seats through the 2009-2010 season by purchasing regular season tickets and maintaining or increasing their level of annual support to the Panther Club (formerly known as Team Pittsburgh).

However, season-ticket holders will only be able to retain the same number of seats that they purchased in the 2004-05 season.

Donations for the upcoming season must be made by Friday.

“Maintaining Pitt’s strong fan base is important when making any decision,” Long said in his statement. “Our goal is to generate additional funds to provide student-athletes with the best opportunity for academic and athletic success, while also rewarding fans who have maintained or increased their contributions to support our growth.”

If season-ticket holders choose not to enter this agreement, they must accept the seats assigned to them by Pitt, and forfeit the rights to their original seats.

“We think it is a fair deal for both sides,” Pincus said.

Pincus added that the firm has received nothing but positive feedback from the season-ticket holders and that none of them have objected to the agreement.

In addition, Pitt has agreed to pay $35,000 toward the season-ticket holders’ legal fees.